Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec cooling system

Nigel Riches

So, tonights Zetec question, starter for 10.

I will soon be installing a zetec in place of a x flow, the present cooling system has a Vauxhall type radiator circa 1994, running a 74 c stat, and 13lb pressure cap with an expansion tank.

The zetec motor has a 92c 😳 stat and a 18-22 lb cap 😳 😳 😳, what are the chances of the radiator grenading itself? Fairly good, I'd say.

So, do I run the 92c stat and 13 lb cap, do I run a lower temp stat and a slightly higher pressure cap. Do I transplant the cap and stat?

And to further complicate matters the engine is controlled by an Emerald ECU, possibly able to adjust coolant temp and fuelling etc when its all together.

Edit to say, this system is a Raceline set up, water rail and thermostat housing, the instruction for which indicate to run a non recovery cooling system, well, personally I don't like the idea, cooling systems should have coolant in them not air, ask my landcruiser head, and my wallet, if it liked running without coolant.

Regards, Nigel.

Edited by - Nigel Riches on 18 Feb 2014 08:29:55

My Raceline Zetec cooling system has worked perfectly for many years installed exactly as their instructions with no expansion tank.

If you are worried about your radiator you could always pressure test it.

My fan is controlled using the switch next to the pressure cap, make sure you use a relay or the switch contacts burn out.

Nigel

You shouldn't have a problem as long as your radiator is sound, I have a Raceline set up, 92C stat and like Nigel Fox I don't use an expansion tank, there is no need or benefit according to Pete McEwen and I would agree.

Guy

ETA . My ECU controls my fan.

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 19 Feb 2014 07:53:23

Thank you gentlemen.

I took a trip out to my rad doctor this afternoon, but he was out on his rounds, so another day for that.

I hear all this good stuff about running without a recovery system, but, how many of the major motor manufacturers send their cars to market like this?

Call me old fashioned, but the cylinder head is the hottest part of the engine, except from the exhaust manifold, and as I said earlier, the head on the landcruiser cracked when the coolant went AWOL, not a cheap 5 minute job to fix.

So, I thank you for your info, much appreciated, but I will endevour to fashion a recovery system, similar to that which is presently installed.

Regards Nigel

• 2 years later...

So, my Zetec engined car was installed by Raceline without an expansion tank. I think I have a slight leak from a pipe to my old scuttle mounted flat heater. How do I check coolant level - is it just up to the filler cap? Also if I lose coolant sorting the leak am I likely to create an air lock with this system or do I just top it up? I assume filler cap must be on when the engine is running. Thanks in advance. 

When I converted I used the same rad from my xflow supersprint, no expansion tank and made a lovely water rail simply and cheaply using stainless steel pipe and blue silicone pipe and elbows. The Dunnel ECU seems to look after the temperature well

Never had a problem with an airlock, my highest point is the filler cap, no bleed points. But jubilee clips hold my water rail together so could if necessary use these points. I did remove the heater some time ago as it makes the car just too hot.