Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing suspension bushes - probably don't try this at home.

Graham Howard

I decided to renew all the suspension bushes this winter. Having found a few posts about this I wasn't expecting it to be too easy. Job is now done but I would not have been able to complete it without some help from a friend with a 10 ton press and a lathe. I just wanted to share this as a warning to anybody contemplating the same job.

The first plan was to use some studding and some suitably shaped mandrels to push out the bushes. This worked on the first one but i ended up stripping the threads on the second bush I tried.

So I then enlisted some help and made use of a 10 ton press with some pieces turned up in a lathe as shown below.

here

Most of them came out with a loud bang, not an easy job even with the press. One of the lower front wishbone bushes was particularly troublesome because the bore in the suspension arm had some weld in it which had distorted the bush.

here

here

Putting the new bushes in was easy with the press.

Somebody clever is now going to tell me how it should have been done. I don't know if my bushes were particularly tight. Assembling the parts back on the car will be a piece of cake.

Graham

Edited by - Graham Howard on 14 Jan 2014 17:47:23

Edited by - Graham Howard on 14 Jan 2014 17:48:01

Edited by - Graham Howard on 14 Jan 2014 17:51:39

Just a shame that the welding deformation within the bush housing is not reamed away on the first assembly *thumbdown*

I made a bench press up with a 12 tonne bottle jack two 1" thick steel plates, 1" threaded rod and dies made from turned down sockets works well