Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Armourfend v Ventureshield v 3M Scotchguard

1in7

Merry Christmas all. Is there a general consensus out there on which of the above paint protection products is the best or are they much the same. My 7's in excellent condition at the moment, save for a few paint chips on the side panels and am thinking of getting some areas filmed to save it getting worse. However, the products are nt cheap, and so any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year. 1in7

I was asking myself this same question earlier this month as I want to protect my 7 from new before the paintwork gets marked. During my research I came accross this excellent overview written by a 911 fanatic who appears to have tried all of these out. Have a look at his impressions of each one

here

In the end I decided the 3m product looked a good bet and so opted to source various pre-made sections of 3m from:

These guys here

Was about £180 for sections to cover the main areas that need covering. Have opted to have a go at fitting myself and will do so once the weather warms up a bit. PPG have a good reputation on here and you could get them to fit it for you if you were so inclined.

Tom

Edited by - TomWoodis on 29 Dec 2013 20:29:07

I have tried Ritrama and KPMF both supplied by MDP supplies. Really great service and the product applies well.

However, the challenge with the stoneguard is its thickness relative to regular colour change films, when applying over double curves ie the rear arches. It is 3 or 4 times thicker, up to 320 micron as opposed to 80-100 micron.

After several attempts, warm, wet, stretched, trimmed; I still had some wrinkles where the film wrapped under the edge of the rear arches.

On the plus side I successfully used these films for the lower edge of the sideskins and in various other paint scuff areas where it is either flat or single curve.

I took my car to a local firm (Race by Design near gatwick airport). They did a supply and fit using 3M ventureshield for the rear arches, £50 a side. The film goes right up to where the sidescreen ends. Even they had a problem with a couple of areas of wrinkling, but removed and replaced using an updated template free of charge. Guy is the main man and pleased to recommend them.

I've had Armourfend on my car for 10 years and over 30,000 miles. Apart from a few small marks on the nosecone that can only been seen under close inspection, and the bottom of the rear wheelarches where its been ground away and replaced by me with some Foliatec (cheap stuff from Halfords; tough but visible) you wouldn't know its there.

• Area Representative

Not really sure why there is an obsession with using protective film on a Caterham when TSK charge less to respray most items. *confused* £50 for each rear wing 🤔 just get them resprayed when they get pitted. The only part of the car that maybe expensive to have done is the side skins so just buy a flat sheet of 3M and fit it yourself.

Nick

Hi Nick,

TSK's prices must have gone up since you last had a wing painted, I paid £80 a side about 4 months ago. In fact it was touch and go whether it was cheaper to go for a new pair of wings from Dartford, but as the wings just needed paint I went with TSK.

I'm not running stone guards (may change my mind) hence the Ventureshield wrap.

Phil

Phil, Whichever system you get, make sure that the protection wraps right around the outer edge of the wings. Mine stops about half way round the radius, and stone chips have eaten away nearly all the gel coat where left exposed. Where the Armourfend is, there's not a mark.

Quoting bluenose: 
Not really sure why there is an obsession with using protective film on a Caterham when TSK charge less to respray most items. *confused* £50 for each rear wing 🤔 just get them resprayed when they get pitted. The only part of the car that maybe expensive to have done is the side skins so just buy a flat sheet of 3M and fit it yourself.

Nick

Not sure pitted white paintwork is going to look all that good so I'd rather protect from the outset if I can. I get what you're saying though, not the end of the world if they do get marked

• 2 weeks later...