Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cam sensor on solid cams VVC conversion

gundersen

During last winter I switched to a 1.8l solid cam VVC head, and it is working nicely and producing around 185bhp.

How ever, I am unable to get a working cam sensor on it.

I have tried to use the cam cover, incl. hall cam sensor, from my old EU3 engine. But the hall sensor is a good cm or so away from the cam pickup, and therefor unable to read anything.

I have also tried using the VR sensor in the side of the VVC top, but aparently there is no picup on the solid cams for it to trigger on.

I know that many are not using cam sensors, but there must be somebody that does with this setup...so what have you done? *smile*

Yep, sequential injection...and some other stuff. For example in case of a misfire the ECU can detect which cylinder had the misfire.

So not vital features, but none the less something that would be nice to have working now that the ECU can 😬

Bo,

I don't remember where the cam sensor is located relative to the thingy on the cam. If the thingy is where the sensor is located on the old cover, maybe we should have milled out a rectangle and then make an adaptor that ofsetts the sensor closer to the cam?

@stu: no distributor, so that is an option. Thanks

@rj: the signal thingy on the cam is right below the sensor hole, so that is definately an option. Actually that was what Flemming suggested, and he has some hall sensors that are quite long and have threads on the sides so they can screw into an adapter...will call you when I get home from track day 😬