Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading a K from 170BHP

Krismuss

Having just come back from the Abbeville Track Weekend it's the first time I've been in my 7 and thought mmmmmmore power might be nice (I gues that's how it starts).

Twisty bits were fun but the main straight there was a marked difference between my 170BHP 1800K and the bigger boys with their 190+Ks, 200+ Zetec, VXRs, etc.

I'm not sure what's been done to my car in the past, it was a stock 140BHP K which had Minister breathe on it (I have a £5k+ invoice in its history file though little note of what they did) and it runs TBs. The two Steves got it up to 169.8BHP (from memory) without pushing the RPM too far.

So where to go next and how much will it cost, I assume above 170BHP that forged pistons are sensible which then leads me to ask, whats in a stock R400 engine? Would I be better selling my car as is and investing in a straight R400?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks

Chris

Chris.....I take it most of your driving is on the road with the occasional track day in which 170 brake is enough. However if you want to go faster on the track 170 is enough for now, upgrade you suspension, get the car set up and have some tuition your be surprised. Of course no one listens and has to go for more power but if you or the car can't handle or control the power it's wasted. Get an academy racer with 125 Bhp on the same track, he'll have you. The choice is yours, but enjoy what ever....Kev

You're dead right... My first enquiry has been to DPR Motorsport as even with slicks on (which felt fantastic) it understeered massively out of most corners!

My next trackday is booked and I've gone for tuition too! 😬

I'm no driving god, that I do accept!

I must admit this recent trackday really renewed my enthusiasm for 7 driving and I can see trackdays being the way forward as I'd lost my mojo for general blatting *cool*

Cheers

Chris *thumbup*

Get an academy racer with 125 Bhp on the same track

I'm only very average in the Academy this year but my lap times are now almost as quick as I have previously managed in my other 7 (230 bhp, big brakes, CR500's, LSD, Nitrons) so this just shows how much can be achieved with a basic low powered car on rubbish tyres! On trackdays this year I have managed to lap faster than quite a few much quicker 7''s (but not as quick as the leaders in the Academy *redface*). However I am really looking forward to getting the old beast back out on track soon to see what I can do with it now 😬

But to answer your question - yes you'd need forged pistons, hotter cams, maybe some porting and bigger valves depending on where you want to end up - it does get expensive!

Martin, the aero was on!

Whilst its probably more powerful than my old Blackbird and the set up is better too (with LSD) it's just never gripped me like the 'Bird used to!

That said, two years in and I'm growing to love it!

The last weekend in France has definitely convinced me that Track Days are the fuTure over evening blats!

you should come to Folembray in May 2014!

Chris *wavey*

If I were to upgrade an engine again, I'd go for more (usable) torque rather than outright power. My 183bhp 1.8K produces max power at max revs - but my Honda Blackbird BEC (with just 150-160 ish) feels much quicker - I'm guessing due to a much wider and more accessible torque spread used in conjunction with a bullet-quick six speed sequential box.