Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LEDs for indicator & main beam

Phil G

• Area Representative

You just need two diodes, 1N4001 will do. Attach both the cathodes of the two diodes, marked with a black band to the anode of the LED. Attach the cathode of the LED to earth. The other ends of the diodes attach to each indicator feed LH and RH.

There is plenty of info on this if you do a search.

Nick

*arrowup* *arrowup* Jeez, imagine seeing that coming at you along a country lane *eek*. Please not I'm invoking pot-kettle-black here *wink*

Seriously, I changed all my warning lights over to LEDs and yes, they're bl%%dy bright at night.

My current set-up for the lights is shown here

From top to bottom:

Large blue: oil pressure warning light

Red: alternator

Green: indicator

Blue: main beam

Originally the oil pressure was a yellow LED but this just didn't work in bright sunlight hence the change to blue. The main beam is sheltered by the shift lights, but is bright enough to provide a sufficient 'glow' which is good enough. However, the indicator is damn bright at night, but is only an issue when the wheel is straight....

Bluenose sourced this 14mm green LEDfrom RS. The reference for red is 208-273 and blue 210-686.

They also do a 16mm version of these too. Green 203-925, red 203-919 and blue 203-947. Unfortunately without checking I can't recall whether mine are 14 or 16mm come to think of it...

Edited by - Aeroscreens on 12 Oct 2013 09:58:08

Is there a tested electronic solution to vary the brightness with eg an input from the main light switch? Would two different LEDs per signal be the easiest way of doing this?

Jonathan

PS: My mother's Sunbeam Stiletto had eyelids on each light to make them less bright at night.

• 3 years later...