Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Forged Pistons

Bradders

As I understand it, the benefit will be extra reliability (which you don't really need on a standard engine, but will be good for the future) and less mass flying around in the engine which will have a similar effect to a lightened flywheel, i.e. motor spinning more freely.

Unless of course you go for higher compression pistons which will give you a few extra BHP.

If you have it in pieces, you might as well do the head at the same time, saves on labour. I wouldn't bother doing it on its own, personally. Do you have a lightened flywheel? That might be a better first step.

They are worth doing on their own. Typically you'll gain 8 to 10bhp if nothing else is changed. This is due to better sealing of the rings + greatly reduced running friction. The reduction in mass is all to the good too - we're talking about several ounces difference.

It really does work; in fact reducing internal mass and friction are two of the big aims of modern engine design for these very reasons.

Of course, you can then take other things further too.

up to about 160bhp and anything above that would need forged.

There is - or rather was- a middle ground. I think Rover did a 'Trophy' engine or something - can't remember the designation, but the pistons were tougher than standard and are ok for higher revs and power (180ish and 7.5krpm). I've got them in my 183bhp 1.8 - bits supplied and assembled by Oily...

I understand they became quite sought after for certain race series where forged pistons were outlawed.