Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Relocating seat (moving runners)

AntonyH

Hi all,

How feasible is it to move a seat forward, as in, bolt the runners in a new location?

In the SV I have the driver's seat fully forward, which is fine; Mrs H could do with it being another inch or so closer to the pedals and wheel. Is there any reason we couldn't reattach the seat runners a bit forward of their current position, with the modest input of a power drill?

TIA

Thanks both. It needs a bit more movement than is available from moving the pedals, but today we found that what we think of as "fully forward" is not as far forward as Al's (newer, metric) SV seat will go.

So first job is to find out whether ours will actually go further forwards with the application of enough lubrication and force.

No, actually, the *first* job is to rebuild the front suspension after today's catastrophic failure of a lower spherical bearing...

*mad*

I had the exact same problem in my SV...only it was my legs that where too short *tongue*

Firstly I moved the pedals closer to the seats, and that worked, but not very well. I was still too far from the steering wheel. So yesterday I moved the seat forward and the pedals back to their original position, and it was a world of difference. Much better!

The operation was extremely simple:

1) Unbolt the seat (mine just had a single bolt in each corner)

2) Drill new holes. I did mine 7.5cm in front of the old once, still well within the reinforcements under the bottom.

3) Cut new holes in the mats

4) Bolt the seat back in the new holes...remember to secure the harness in a position where it wont get caught under the seat runners *redface*

5) Enjoy 😬

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Thanks for the various suggestions, now sorted...

Took the driver's seat off the runners and with an amount of poking, stiff brushing, injected lubricant and brute force, the seat now gets full travel forward, which is further than it previously did and was *nearly* enough just in itself.

Then experimented with the pedal locations; after a bit of playing we've extended the clutch cable outer about 1/4" (by winding the nuts up the adjuster thread); this has pulled the clutch pedal face about an inch closer to the driver's seat. That's still OK for me and appears fine for Mrs H.

Just need a test drive to be 100% confident it's "right".

*cool*

(edited for inability to type!)

Edited by - AntonyH on 20 Oct 2013 19:14:04

Edited by - AntonyH on 20 Oct 2013 19:14:43

No problem. To be honest the seat in the designed "full forward" location is about right for Mrs H in terms of steering wheel reach, so the combination of that and the moved clutch pedal will I think be fine.

Worth knowing that extra adjustment can be had without additional holes in the floor though, thanks!