Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shake/vibration at speed

TomGaval

Took the 7 out for a two day trackday event this weekend. The car ran great for 7 sessions then on the 8th one it started to vibrate/shake in both long sweepers and the straights. No issue under braking, but it shook enough to vibrate my center mirror loose. I pitted and checked for any front wheel bearing play but all seemed normal. Running slicks so I did pick up a lot of rubber and I did scrape off a big pile of it. But on the next session it still vibrated pretty hard so I called it a day.

Any thoughts on what the possible causes could be?

Tom

No I did not clean out the inside of the wheels, There was a lot of rubber inside the rear ones, but not much in the fronts. Took the wheels and slicks over to the shop to get them looked at and see if they are balanced properly. Should know something tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help.

Tom

Just picked up the wheels and slicks from the shop. The track that I've been running on has 11 turns of which 9 are rights and only 2 are lefts.

Wear on the left side tires was apparent and for whatever reason, the tires and wheels without weights were 147 grams out of balance. 😳

I had two new slicks and those on the wheels without weights were only 46 grams out before balancing. So based on that it appears that somehow the tires ended up 100grams out of balance. Hopefully this resolves the issue. I will attempt to run another trackday on Saturday and I'll report back with the results. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Tom

Just got home from a great day on the track. Happy to report that replacing the fronts, solved the shake problem. Seems that the left side tires take a beating from all the right hand turns. I'll start rotating the tires and have them flipped on the rims after several track days to even out the wear.

Tom