Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP - L Shaped hose & water rail - Photo anyone?

Good photos, but I can't see an odd black earth wire either. Perhaps it's already connected? (Unfortunately, I'm a long way from my car right now so can't check.) A call to the factory may be in order, I think.

Re the two brown wires, they go to the same terminal on the solenoid as the fat red battery wire (and the fat brown wire from the alt).

Re the engine earth from the engine mount, I think I fitted mine to the nearside engine mounting bracket.

The copper-coloured plug is the water temp sensor. On my car, it was pre-fitted at the back of the aluminium water outlet. See Fig 114 (under the call-out link to #4).

NOTE: I'm guessing from now on....

On your car, the water outlet is plastic. The water temp sensor fits in the hose between the water outlet and the heater valve (see Fig 68, next to "2"). You should have a T-piece for it. If you don't have a heater, you'll need to connect a hose between the T-piece under the plenum (fig 113, #4) and the water outlet, and fit the sensor in that.

JV

Yep, copper coloured plug goes into a copper 'submarine' t-piece which should be in your cooling box/bag. You cut one of the hoses that comes from the back of the head and the t-piece slots in between them. The sensor plug then screws into the vertical socket of the t-piece. Not described very well but it'll make sense when you see the part. The other ring terminal next to the plug then is screwed onto the bolt that comes out of the side of the t-piece to earth it.

You'll also find 4 female spade terminals in square black mouldings which are on the same part of the loom as the oil modine. These aren't used so can be cable tied out the way. I tried to take a photo just now but mine are so tightly wrapped out to get it though the IVA, it's proving difficult to photograph!

John is spot on with all the starter/earth wiring advice. :)

Thanks again both, starting to make a lot more sense now. I believe I do have the submarine T jobby (big brass coloured item) so looks like I'm probably gettjng ahead of myself and its coming up in the next part of the manual.

I did notice those additional black spade connectors that you mention by the modine so good to know they aren't needed. As for the modine, I'm still a bit unsure where that fits in within the sequence.

So far I've got top radiator to t-piece. The short bit of pipe is then going to the inlet on the engine. The right hand most end of the Upside down T as you look at it (this is pointing towards the bulkhead) is currently unattached to anything. I'm assuming for some cars this would go the the heater but As this one has a modine, Does it go down to the modine first then back up to the heater?

I may have that totally wrong as its just a hunch.

Oh and good news on the suspension, took your advice and improvised only I used an Allen key as it wasn't quite so sharp 😬

Edited by - TomWoodis on 27 Aug 2013 22:36:42

No worries. Piping goes as follows:-

Top of radiator to water inlet

Larger of the two water outlets at back of head to t-jobby

T-jobby to bottom heater inlet (via metal valve doofer)

Heater outlet (top of valve doofer) to modine (offside)

Modine (nearside) to blue t-piece (which connects to the water pump)

Water pump to bottom of radiator

Other end of blue t-piece to expansion tank

Smaller outlet at back of head to expansion tank

The j hose which connects the water outlet to the t-jobby will seem too big. This is apparently normal (and shoddy imho). Clamp it up tight with a jubilee clip, the tighten it again after a week or so.

Ps why did I not think to use an Allen key. I have hundreds of Allen keys. Proof, were proof needed, that I'm a moron. :)

Though at least I have some cool criss-cross scarring from the hss drill bit to impress the ladies with. Erm, yeah.

Thanks again for your very clear explanation, it's all starting to make sense now. I did wonder why the J hose was bigger diameter at one end!

I have also been a moron by saying that I had the top radiator hose attached to the T piece by the water pump. I don't of course, what I really meant was the larger of the two pipes to the Header tank *thumbup*

Cheers again.

Tom

Glad to hear it's all falling into place.

...so looks like I'm probably gettjng ahead of myself and its coming up in the next part of the manual
You may be doing this already, but if you have a laptop, download the AG pdf and have it handy next to the build. Good for wordsearches etc.

JV

Late on a Sunday afternoon...

On the subject of the accuracy of the AG, and the need for constant updating, this page of the CC website makes interesting reading. It clearly recognizes the need for regular updates, and sings the praises of the online downloadable version, in particular the bit where it says:

...its maintenance should be equally easy as we don’t have to exhaust printed editions before making amends for subsequent reissuance.
The article is dated 27 October 2011. If you click on "Tim Ward", you get an unrelated web page. If you click on the download web address given, you get:

ACCESS DENIED

You are not authorized to access this page.

Hmmm....

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 28 Aug 2013 10:45:10

Yes, you're right. You have to register before you can download docs like the AG and Handbook.

I suppose my point was that, although CC clearly accept the need to keep the AG regularly updated -- capitalizing on the fact that it's an online doc -- they don't in fact follow it through and do the actual updating! A lot has happened in the CC kit scene since May 2012.

I wonder if the hiatus is anything to do with the fact that (I'm reliably informed) Tim Ward no longer works for CC? If so, that's a shame, as Tim was a great help to me when I ordered my first kit back in 1998 (IIRC, he was Production Manager at the time).

JV

John - you are correct, Tim has indeed left. He began dealing with my kit then all of a sudden I started to get emails to him bouncing back as unknown sender. Callum at Caterham South confirmed that he had left.

Gregs - with all the help these other 2 have given me I feel it only fair to give something back the community. As I've been putting the cooling pipe work together I've been creating a Visio diagram to show the entire routing. I'll have finished that by this afternoon and will post it up here for you. Unless Caterham update the guide within the next 2 months you'll be at a complete loss as the guide is very out of date. For instance there is no mention of this Submarine pipe that I have just fitted that takes the temp sensor, presumably this is a recent update?

I'll post the image here anywhere and also on my blog which I'm pleased to hear you are looking at.

Regards

Tom

Right then gents, here is my first attempt at getting the cooling system and general pipe routing down on paper. This is what I have deduced from your various comments and how I currently have it wired up. If there is anything not right with it then please do let me know and I shall change both the car and the diagram 😬

SuperSport R Coolant Pipe routing take 1:

Cooling System

There is just one last bit of the jigsaw puzzle that I am yet to solve. Where the Temp sensor comes out of the wiring loom there is also another black/yellow cable with a spade connector on the end of it. Would anyone be able to shed light on where that one goes?

Its this one here in this picture

Black/Yellow Cable

UremaW - This sounds like the earth you made reference to in one of your earlier posts only its not a ring terminal but rather a spade connector. Did you modify this so that you could screw it onto the little post that sticks out of the T-piece?

Happy to go off and by a soldering iron if needed (any excuse to buy more tools 😬)

Tom

Edited by - TomWoodis on 28 Aug 2013 17:28:00

Edited by - TomWoodis on 28 Aug 2013 20:15:34

I don't have access to the car tonight, but from memory I think there's a little ring connector with a male spade connector on the other end. You bolt the connector to submarine, then connect the earth cable to that. Will double check tomorrow though.

Quoting UremaW: 
I don't have access to the car tonight, but from memory I think there's a little ring connector with a male spade connector on the other end. You bolt the connector to submarine, then connect the earth cable to that. Will double check tomorrow though.

That would make a lot of sense, I think improbably missing it though unfortunately. I'll have a look through all the boxes and see if its there. If not I'll get on the phone again to Derek.

Cheers

Tom

Anything else you can remember that you were missing? Going to call Derek tomorrow for some

Of the other bits so if there is anything obvious that you remember was missing that I could take a quick look for in the morning that'd be great.

I'm not convinced I have the fixing pack for the FIA roll bar for instance. Did you get one?

Cheers

Tom

Can't remember many specifics, but things that stood out were a couple of bolts for mounting the dedion ears to the tube, plus the nuts and bolts which seal the lid onto the air box. Oh and the fuse box cover with the cutout for the 12v socket.

A couple of spare relays wouldn't go amiss either. I had two DOA.

Thanks for that, I test fitted the ears to the dedion earlier and thought something was amiss with the bolts! Perhaps those packs are going out the door incorrectly as well then.

Will have a look for the air box bolts too, can't remember seeing those anywhere so thanks for the heads up on that and the other bits.

Tom