Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Measuring type 9 synchro wear

ncm

I have a spare type 9 5 speed bought secondhand as being in good condition and was wondering if it is possible to assess synchro wear by measurement of the gap between the dog teeth of the ring and those on the gear? I can find no reference to this dimension in either the genuine Ford service manual or the Haynes book or by searching the net. Does Blatchat have the answer?

Thanks in advance, Brian.

I know this sounds like a cop out, but I'm in the same position and decided that it wasn't worth risking *not* changing a ring while the box was in bits. I could deal with noisy bearings (as its straight-cut gear set anyway) but crunching gears do my head in. Think I paid something like £80 for a set of five brass rings, not the steel sort.

Actually, scratch that, they were only £60:

http://www.transmission-rebuild-kits.co.uk/ford-type-synchro-p-1247.html?cPath=84_115

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mankee. As you suggest, replacing the rings when the box is apart is an obvious thing to do, but mine is still in one piece...does anybody have an answer.

Brian.

Hi giles, I was thinking of wear more in terms of the inside of the brass cone as it grips the mating cone on the steel gear, theory being that the greater the wear the closer the two sets of dog teeth will become... Guess I'll be stripping it for a look-see this winter.

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ncm,

I am just in the proses of stripping a type 9 5 speed and took some measurements before I stripped it.

I pushed the brass synchro up against the cone when in gear and measured with a set of feelers in the gap between the steel cone and synchro.

First 1,25mm second 0,90mm third 0,8mm fourth 0,75mm this box has been used for racing.

When I stripped it I found first has a new synchro fitted and all the others have signs of wear with the friction grooves not sharp and small flats on top of the teeth.

and all three worn ones need replacing, it might not be consistent with wear on all T9s

but something to look for.

If it has less than 1,0mm gap the you need to strip and inspect it.

Chris *wavey*