Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommended maximum weight to be added when balancing a wheel?

Grubbster

Following on from the shocking lack of care taken to balance my wheels (on my Hilux) recently here I have had a response from the dealer principle. One of the points he made was that it isn't recommended to ever add more than 80g to a wheel as this would indicate a problem with the tyre - one of mine took 195g to balance when I had them done elsewhere (but remember these are big heavy wheels and tyres). I'm trying to find something written down about tyre balancing and maximum weight advised etc, maybe a laid down standard exists? Anyone know of anything I can look at or better at googling than me please *confused*

• Area Representative

Hi Steve,

I'm no expert but 195g is a lot of weight to add to a wheel.

Generally the accepted normal practice seems to be to stop and rotate the tyre through 180° if you get such a significant out of balance.

This thread reads a lot like your earlier post so maybe it's a Toyota thing....

I've never seen weights distributed like the ones in your photos.

All the best

Richard

Interesting, my weights are now all in 2 groups (inner edge and outer edge of the rim) and balanced fine, the steering isn't wobbling any more. The link you put up Richard lead me to a page that said the balance weights ought not exceed 1% of the combined wheel and tyre weight. So as long as my wheels are in the order of 20Kg each (probably are) then 195g ought to be fine.

Edited by - Grubbster on 14 Aug 2013 17:06:28

• Area Representative

You could try the BTMA here

There is this British Standard, not sure how would see the details without buying though?

Tyres and wheels. Tyres. General. Method of test for measuring tyre uniformity BS AU 50-1.0.1:1999here.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grubbster

Agree with all you say on main dealers! I had a pop at Nissan (and didn't pay their bill) the last time my truck went there (2010). Same with Audi main dealer - I could go on.......

Firstly, never use knock on weights on alloy wheels. They damage the rim and lead to corrosion. Any good tyre fitter will use stick on only - they're normally the guys who spin the wheel once, stick the weights on, check and it's perfect. When you need new tyres, the goodyear wrangler is a better tyre all round based on experience of everyone I know who has a truck.

I use Mike at Hamble Tyres in Hamble. Never even ask him how much anymore as he's always competetive or cheaper and I value the service. He even drove to Telford one morning for me to get some Kumho's that weren't delivered on time (at no charge!)

I use Field Motors in Botley for Truck, Van and Car. Again, very trustworthy, do a good job and bill fairly and at a good rate so I never ask then to quote first.

And of course Tom New for the Caterham.

I'm sure there are other good people out there but that's who I know local to us down here.

Good luck

Stuart

P.S. I'll try and get to a solent meet before the year's out.