Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Foam Booster Seat - aerosol cans?

Wrightpayne

Tried a few booster seats in the new tillet and cannot seem to get one to fit. Checked on ebay for the volvo one to no avail.

Just wondered if anyone had made foam seats using DIY cans of foam rather than the 2 pack mix and pour stuff?

Looking for technique advice and whether cans are effectively the same stuff as the 2 pack and are same density?

General approach will be plastic bag in seat - squirt a load of foam in. Let it go off and trim where appropriate. Build up a layer or two to get heigh right. Last layer sit child on foam momentarily (inserting bag between child and wet foam 😬). Fill any voids and cover with tank tape.

Regards

Ian

Not tried it but child will need to sit in it for a while to alow the foam to take shape and set - I think the stuff in cans takes a while to set whereas the 2 part pack stuff sets quite quickly. Just a thought, might not be a problem if you are making a fairly generic seat that doesn't have to be too snug.

I've got the standard leather seats, not Tillets, but I can confirm that these fit in terms of width (standard S3, not an SV) and work very well in general.

Hi Adam. Do you have inertia reel belts or harnesses? Just wondering how you secured them in as I'm just trying to convince the wife to let me take my 17month old daughter out in the 7 *biggrin* I've got the normal cloth seats, so equivalent to the leather ones in size and positioning.

Hi Dave,

I have harnesses. I strap my son (aged three when he had his first outing) into the seat using the booster seat's straps and then the whole assembly is strapped to the Seven's seat by the harnesses which come through the shoulder-level gaps in the booster seat and between the arm-rests and the base of the booster seat.

I do put some foam under the booster seat, but only to give him a better view - it's not a necessity. I thought I'd have to move the (Seven's) seat as far forward as possible to get the harness tight enough,but that wasn't necessary either.

Hope that helps (and makes sense).

Adam

I made my own seat from expanding foam after a very ill-fated effort with 2-part mix. It turned into a bit of a mission but with the added bonus of some child labour masquerading as parenting *smile*

Method:

Vacuum bag half full of polystyrene beads - sit child on it - vacuum air out (of the bag).

Wriggle child until comfy and well supported.

Papier mache the (still vacuumed) bag. I guarantee you'll have forgotten how much fun it is getting messy and kids love it.

Let the papier mache harden. You'll need a few layers.

Remove bag, leaving you with a female mould.

Fill mould with expanding foam. Allow a couple of cans. Trim and upholster. I used Alcantara and black duck tape and it looks surprisingly good.

Edited by - AtWork on 16 Aug 2013 16:47:46

Edited by - AtWork on 16 Aug 2013 16:47:48

Yup, special fireproof copies of the local paper *smile*

Nah, i forgot to say - remove the paper mâché before you upholster. Or not I suppose, I did because it bowed a bit and needed to be trimmed to fit in the car, but if yours is sturdier (I didn't use enough layers) you could feasibly leave it on. Could add stability.

Blooming comfy though - a world away from the tired bench seats I had before and a LOT cheaper than Tillets!