Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spark Plug issue

peewee7

• Area Representative
I want to replace my NLP100290 original Rover spark plugs and have stumbled across the term "wasted spark system" (two coil packs at the top of the engine, under the cover, no distributor) Firstly what is a wasted spark? Secondly which plugs should I replace the original with? I'm running a DVA K04 1.6k serires set up pushing around 150bhp

With two plugs fed off one coil, when the coil is 'activated' this results in both plugs getting a spark. One spark is in the cylinder that is ready to be ignited (on the compression stroke), the other spark fires on the cylinder that is on the exhaust stroke, thus that spark is 'wasted'.

On the next activation of the coil, the wasted spark will be in the other cylinder.

I agree with the BCPR7ES plug choice, cheap as chips on ebay, around £7.30 for 4

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 29 Jul 2013 21:49:13

Plug life is shortened and more importantly the gap widening is hastened, this is why platinum tipped plugs are used which are slower to recede. As long as the plugs have the correct heat range and are resistive they should work just fine. BCPR7ES are perfect for the job.

Oily