Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Very sticky throttle on 2.3 duratec

wild bill

I have a 2.3 duratec in S3 chassis. Fitted with jenvey throttlebodies. The throttle cable runs from pedal box through heat protection hose round back of coil and in under the tb's to the butterfly ( it used to run round front of engine but was altered to try to cure sticking) since the new route it has remained on/ off and only my getting used to it has meant it was ok for me. Oth people found it tricky. On way home this eve it suddenly became very stiff ( much worse than usual). The butterfly operates fine as does the pedal. I could replace the cable but they're expensive and I'd rather find a proper solution. Anyone have any ideas? I hate the current set up as I think it's poorly designed but then that's easy for me to say. Anyone have a similar issue? Car now on drive but is actually un drivable ( tbh dangerous)

Hi Rob

Hope all is good with you. Car still epic and nicely loosened up. So cable runs across top of engine and into top of butterfly rather than looping round and coming up from under if I understand you correctly?

It's blooming tight for space on the 2.3 which is why I think originally it looped around front of engine

don't think this is actualy your problem but will mention it just in case, on CSR throttle became not so much stiff as wouldn't close to slow down, I thought it was cable and also kinda got used to it, a quick blip normally sorted problem, anyway after lots of messing about traced it to the small brass screws holding buttterflies in position being loose, all felt fine operating by hand but when driving the butterfly was fouling on The body and sticking, quick test turned out to be if holding the linkage at the throttle you could feel about 2 or 3 mm end float, took off filter and with throttle fully closed put thinnest feeler gauge under butterfly and tightened screws, problem solved.

Tim

WB,

Yes run over the top of engine roughly in the middle then you will need to fabricate some sort of stay bracket to fasten the threaded bit of the cable outer to. The inner then connects from above. I used to use the long rover MGTF which went arround the front of the engine because it looked neater. Why not take a run over, I have a new cable in stock and you can see how I have done mine + catch up. New address The Coach House, Sandy Lane, Abbots leigh , Bristol BS8 3SE tel 01275 371255

Rob

Maybe the plastic lining in the trottle cable has worn away, this can made the trottle action very stiff, if you would reroute the trottle cable mabe u can use a 90° from any bike shop. It would bring the cable drirect behind the engine and then work with a big radius under the TB.