Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda s800 Blackbird engine conversion

tiddy1

You have to keep the engine buzzing in a narrower region of engine speed which is what the gears are for.

All other things being equal (which they're not), my 1000cc engine will make the same power at 7000rpm as your 2000cc one will at 3500. My advantage here is that I've got another 7000 to go :)

But that't what the "road speed" axis is for. It allows you to equate the differences in gearing and engine rpm.

I dunno if you are just being obtuse or you really don't understand. (You seem like a smart bloke!)

No more diverting the S800 thread though. PM me if you want to discuss further. *thumbup*

I do like a good discussion..

I am comming to the conclusion that there are three ways to do this:

Either change the rear axle, as with the current one I have no diff ratio choices,

Or to drive the reverse box from a chain drive off the motorbike gearbox to increase the prop shaft speed

or get a new set of drop down gears made for the honda (car ) box to increase the prop speed by approx 40%

the problem is the 1.54/1 reduction from the motorbike engine to the motorbike gearbox and a 1.16:1 top gear so at 12000 engine RPM you get a max 6775rpm prop speed

the car engine at 10,000 rpm gets a 10900 prop speed (sped up by drop/ reversing box) on the end of the car gearbox (top gear is 1:1 in the box)

so I ned to get the prop speed from 6775 to 10900 to achieve the same top speed

Or increase your wheel circumference by a factor of 1.6?

Run the car gearbox backwards?

Seriously though, faced with all these issues, might it be cheaper to ditch the car gearbox all together (it's not doing anything anyway in your application) and get a CW&P made up for your axle?

Edited by - charlie_pank on 28 Jun 2013 13:47:52

We are not using the car gearbox , but possibly the drop box as we need the prop to spin in the opposite direction to the engine, if we use the elite reverse gearbox then we can get rid of the drop box.

So where can I get a cw and pinion made?