Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Yellow

classic1952

I'm afraid I can't provide a definitive answer to your question, but as my Caterham yellow car was a 1986 delivery it's at least 27 years. I suspect it's considerably longer than that, too, as yellow was one of the original gelcoat 'standard' colours in that era and before.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a more precise answer.

Pierson

Have "Caterham Yellow" and "Caterham Red" etc always been the same paint codes? Or have they changed over time whilst keeping the same name?

Similar with orange, I've seen McLaren orange, Aztec orange, 'Caterham' orange and more recently Ballistic orange - are these all the same paint?!

(Sorry - more questions than answers!)

This is what I am trying to establish. I am being offered parts in Caterham Yellow. My car is a 2008 car whilst some of these are unused parts intended for an earlier model but still in Caterham Yellow. I have seen various yellows, particularly on older cars, hence the question.

IIRC (and I may be wrong) the forumla for Caterham Yellow changed at some time due to one of the constituent chemicals being banned. If you do a thorough search on here you might find the thread. The Caterham Archivist, whose details you'll find in the Contacts section of the club website, should be able to tell you your paint code.

Following on from this I had a look on Dupont's website which appears to give a revised paint mix from 2009

http://cdb.dupontrefinish.info/en/Formula.mvc/539785@!YELLOW@!LOTUS%20SUPER%207@!O?displayType=grid&powerSearchKeys=caterham%20yellow&databaseType=official

This seems to support the idea that the colour may have changed subtly over the years as pigments disappeared and regulations changed.