Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres, sorry

Peter Mears

Having owned my car for over 15 years I have always run it on 14" wheels with 185 60 14 tyres. These are the KN skoda style wheels as they are original and I like the retro look.

I have some 13" rims that are mini light style and after a matt black repaint might put on the car.

So the question is will I get any adverse handling surprises if I go up to a 70 profile tyre. I expect a softer ride but does anyone have views on this change. I will keep with the AO 21s that Ive always liked.

I think Ive seen pictures of Eugene with this set up *smile*

Hi Peter,

Shouldn't be a problem as I went from Michelin Pilot 195/50s on 15" wheels to Yokohama 21R 185/70s on 13" wheels and the handling stayed pretty much the same apart from better grip and more compliant ride with the Yoko 21s. Also as the rolling circumference was almost identical there was be no issue with the gearing for the speedo.

I think that your ride height will increase slightly (approx. 10mm) with the 185/70/13s but it'll make no real difference to the handling IMHO. Speedo will be slightly out though.

Peter,

Slight correction to Aeroscreens' tyre size calculation. 185/70 13 are approx 11mm greater diameter than 185/60 14. But this would only increase ride height by approx 5.5mm, the difference in tyre radius (top half of tyre doesn't change ride height).

Phil

Ok, so ride height should not be a problem and I used to run 13 60 profile as a track tyre.

I know 70 profile are a lot cheaper but what about the point where they run out of grip? The 60's do not flex too much on the side wall and I've got used to the feeling when they break free. Are the 70s going to feel much different?

Thanks for the replies so far *thumbup*

Unfortunately, I've only ever used the 21R in 70 profile so cannot offer a direct comparison, but I did used to track my 7 on these tyres once they were not road legal and they were fine, as in you could always feel them starting to break away.

Unfortunately between the 60 profile 14" and 70 profile 13" tyres we also have differences in the load rating. The 185/70 x 13" has an 86 load rating, the 185/60 x 14" I think is a 82 load rating. This rating affects sidewall construction (86 is a higher load capability than 82) and thus stiffness. How much I have no idea, but it throws in another variable when trying to compare/predict performance/difference.

regards, Phil

Quoting Golf Juliet Tango: 
I have used AO21Rs in both 60 and 70 profile and the difference is minimal (i.e. I couldn't identify any, I just found I had slightly better clearance).
You're joking. When I first fitted 60s on my old car there was a massive difference in the sidewall stiffness, 70s bounce around like Tigger. The difference wasn't so pronounced with later sets but I never knew whether I got used to it or whether the tyres changed.

Quoting Peter Mears: 
Thanks for all the replies, I will get them done with that company in Birmingham as they are cheap and near by. So who sells the cheapest tyres for that size, is it polley.

BTW tyres will be AO21s or similar not Wanley ditch finders 😬

Polley for the 70s, as they are discounted due to the volume, etc.