Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kyalami track

Birkin S3 ZA.

Race weekend at Kyalami track. My first race in the Lotus challenge, consisted of a six hour 540 Klm drive to the track. Learning the very technical track for the first time in three short sessions. Qualifying in the rain was a good experience on semi slick tyres, The bad news is Kyalami track is struggling to survive and might be lost forever in the next few years." class="smiley" />

Funny you should say that Jonathan, my son has just done an article for our local 7 mag this month with that very same story.

I will post it if you would like with the pictures of the car as well.

How is every ones Knowledge and memory on a Lotus seven competing in two F1 races in South Africa?

Collin Chapman said “that that must be the fastest seven in the world” when he saw it following his Lotus climax down the straight in 1962, It was driven by Peter van Niekerk.

It was also the same race that Gary hocking was killed at the Westmead track near Durban,

which just so happens to be 7 miles from where I live.

Almost every day I get to go around turn one that is still there, 😬 😬 and the control tower is still standing just before the turn.

There is a road named Hocking place after Gary as well,

Just a bit of trivia for those that are interested. *cool* *wavey*

Chris.