Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Ford Focus EGR valve

magister

POBC

My Focus 1.6TDCi needs a new EGR valve, but the new EGR will need reprogramming after fitting.

Main dealers are asking around £450 to replace / reprogramme the EGR. 😳

I can get an after market unit for around £175, but if I fit it myself, there is a chance the car might not start because of the programming.

I have removed the EGR and cleaned it (though it w as pretty clean) but it hasn't made any difference.

Anyone know of a garage in the Leicester area who can fit an EGR and who has the necessary software to reprogramme it? (without the main dealer prices!)

Any suggestions most welcome!

PaulB

Does the ECU not just need the fault code clearing? An OBDII reader should be able to do that.

Have a read through these here and see if there is a service bulletin that says to reprogram the EGR without changing it to, in effect, stop the fault occuring in the first place. Then try and persuade the garage that they should try that first before changing the EGR unneccesarily.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 10 Mar 2013 18:46:35

Quoting Belper Cat: 
Think there are quite a lot of these being driven around after blanking off with a piece of aluminium..

Maybe a bit of 7 up tin 😬 might do the trick?

I know that on my old "Euro 3" spec TDCi in my old X-Type this was possible, but I believe in that the Euro 4/5 spec engines need a 7mm hole drilled in the blanking plate to avoid upsetting the onboard computer.

BTW PaulB - is it deffo the EGR that's gone? - I had mine replaced by a Jag main stealer only to find it wasn't the EGR that had had gone - it was the wiring loom that controlled it!

Mike

How do you know your car 'needs a new EGR valve' ?

Make sure your car has been CORRECTLY diagnosed before sourcing and blind-fitting new parts. Take your car to a respected diagnostic technician, not always easy I know, but worth it in the long run. *thumbup*

Thanks for all the replies.

Local garage read the fault codes which pointed to the EGR.

He reset the engine management light, but it came on a few miles later.

I have read that EGR should click a few times when the engine is turned off (valve opening / closing to stop it getting stuck). It doesn't do this. This made me think it could be the stepper motor which controls it. Equally, I suppose it could be a wiring fault.

Symptoms are: management light on, power down quite a bit but running ok.

PaulB

We had a similar experience with diagnostic codes, but the behaviour was worse. The management light would come on and the engine would lose power, sometimes during an overtaking attempt *eek* If the engine was stopped, then started again, all was well. The faulty component was the accelerator pedal which was easily fixed in 5 minutes.