Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gear change query

keybaud

Under hard acceleration, it is sometimes impossible to change from 1st to 2nd. It comes out of first, but it doesn't want to go into second. Is there something I should be looking to fix or am I just not driving properly?

Edited by - keybaud on 24 Feb 2013 15:05:46

• Area Representative
This has happened to me a few times and I found that I was putting downwards pressure on the gear lever (as if going into reverse) which meant it closed the gate to second. Released the pressure and it goes in fine!

I recently rebuilt the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and it changes gears reasonably smoothly, for a 1992 straightcut gearbox. I've also recently replaced the gear lever, so I'll check to see if I'm pushing down when I accelerate harder than usual.

If that is the problem then it is a good idea to change your grip on the knob, so, when changing from first to second, or second to first and third to second of course, turn your hand around so the palm faces away from you and hold the knob on the side, not on top, this will automatically put the lever into the correct plane and ensure you don't ever push down on the lever. It will be a little uncomfortable at first, but the more you practice the easier it will get. Do persevere, it will be worth it, you'll never wrong slot again - I promise. Reputedly, even Nigel Mansell found it helped him. With the other forward gears, get into the habit of holding the knob on the side, never on top. *cool* 😬

Paul