Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Very O/T Defender query

Johnty Lyons

Firstly if your not into Defenders I'm sorry, but lots of us are so please don't take up all the thread telling me I should have bought something else. Yes you either like them or hate them I'm in former camp and always will be.

Our 1993 200Tdi went in to our local independant last weekend for a new clutch, and we got lent a 2003 TD5. On collecting the old girl I was reminded that there was no way she would get MOT come Sept as she needs a chassis, so heres the quandry at £1500 plus say 500 or600 for spurious parts attempting to do work ourselves ( big job) even if I lift body of in one piece with a loader, considering she will shortly need two doors is it worth it or do I walk away scrap value around £900,

She was bought just over 10 yrs ago for£2500 trade and we have spent over £6000 on her in past 10 yrs on servicing ,repairs,renewals and MOT. On a seperate issue the TD5 was a dream to drive and I loved her 2003 model.

If it's everywhere then may be worth a chassis swap. Go for a galv replacement.

If the rest of the L/R is good then it's well worth saving and worth the investment in changing the chassis.

I spent many months welding and replacing most of my original chassis with new sections and outriggers only to find when I took the rear tub off the chassis sprung as it had been repaired badly previously. As I didn't have a jig to set it back correctly I replaced it with a complete new galv chassis.

Good luck.

I have just had a similar dilemma.

My 110CSW was starting to rot away and required welding before every MOT. I also considered fitting a new galvanized chassis. The problem for me was that I also needed a new front bulkhead and five doors. When I totaled everything up, including a respray and a Discovery transfer box, to improve the motorway ability, I was looking at about 8k.

I loved the car and was sad to get rid of it but in the end I changed it for a 2012 USW.

The new Defender is so much nicer to drive and cruising at 70 on the motorway is now easy. It is also a pleasure to have a heater that actually blows warm air out and a heated screen.

I continue to read horror stories about the reliability of the Puma Defenders but so far mine seems ok.

Yeah that's exactly the dilema she will need other work as yrs progress and although inherently simple pieces of kit 200Tdi landys are very old technology now.I was suitably impressed with the TD5 and even she is obsolete.trouble is even a 10/12 yr old Td5 is around £9000 for something reasonable. *confused*