Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rubbing Sidescreens-Help.

Rob Board

Hello All.

After washing and polishing my month old Silver Roadsport this afternoon, (beats staying at work ), I was a bit miffed to find rub/abrasion marks on the side panels where the screens/door flaps make comtact with the body work, at the leading curved edge.(Below the mirrors-if that makes sense) The marks are only faint at the moment and very narrow and localised, obviously where the screens contact the paint. However, I am worried that as the car has only done 1200 miles, that as time progresses, the chaffing will become so severe as to remove the paint and leave bare ali' exposed. Is this a common trait of sevens, and something I must live with that will get no worse, or is there something I can do about it. It does seem to me that although the paint finish is really superb, it is as soft as butter.(Stone chips a-plenty!) Thanks in advance-Still learning the ropes and stll lovin' it!!!!!! *mad* *mad*

I've put small strips of velcro "hoop" tape in the curved space. Solves the problem of the chafing, and also keeps the door a bit more closed at speed on cr*ppy weather days.....

Steve

SV VHPD *idea*

Drive like your wife *wink* depended on it....

click here to see our 7 and rallye pictures....

I lost a door at about 100 mph at the Ring. Although I got it back, it had been damaged. I thought it was just scuff marks and a broken mirror (easily replaced), but at speed, with only a driver and no passenger, the door now tries to come inboard at its rear edge, and this has led to not only bare metal, but worn away aluminium ☹️. So it looks like I'm going to have to replace the passenger door after all.

So Rob, ours is just a bad case of what you describe.

For long solo journeys I have used the head restraint pad in conjunction with the Petty Strut, to hold the back of the door in position at speed. Putting the roof on, also restrains the door but looks silly in dry weather.

STEVE VHPD, I am not sure what you mean by velcro "Hoops" although it sounds impressive. Where to buy and what is it? How exactly have you fitted yours?(or am I just having a blonde moment as my wife would say). If it does the trick as you say, I shall purchase some pronto, and fit it to the doors. Cheers Rob.

*confused*