Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mintex brake shoes

Pierson

I have a very early de Dion chassis which uses drums on the rear axle. The car is running Mintex 1144 pads in the standard front calipers but does anyone know if Mintex produces a similar compound/efficacy shoe to fit such a drum? With the 1144's up front and realising that most of the effort is directed that way the current braking is good but I was wondering if replacing the rear shoes might deliver a further improvement (road use).

I've had a Google trawl but haven't turned up anything pertinent thus far.

TIA,

Pierson

*arrowup*As Mankee says, you can get your existing 'shoes relined with almost anything you like. Search for Carbotech, they're based near me, and I used them for my Golf track car, very helpful, making sure they supply the correct compound for your needs. *thumbup*

Hi Pierson,

My LA car suffers from poor brake balance, and I'd like to increase the braking effeciency at the rear, so I'm interested in any improvements a change of brake material makes. Do you know what the current shoes are?

Any feedback would be useful, though I realise it may be a while before you get a chance to get out on the road.

Thanks,

Clive.

Edited by - Ivaan on 12 Dec 2012 19:44:00

MB. Yes the dual MC with bias bar has sorted the balance, but the peddle pressure needed is heavy. With better effciency at the rear, I can move the bias forward and get more braking effect overall for less pressure.

Eugene.

I've changed the slave cylinders to the larger size Marina Estate versions

Edited by - Ivaan on 13 Dec 2012 13:17:09

Well worth having a chat with Alan Brown of Questmead.

He supplies Mintex brake friction to a wide range of motorsport users and gives good advice on different compounds for varying requirements, conditions and vehicles.

Also relines customer shoes. Nice traditional copper rivets too! None of this bonded on stuff which has been known to slide off (no need to ask how I know)

Should be able to find their number by a quick Google.

Peter