Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD oil change failure

bluespeed

After failing miserably to do what I thought would be simple job on car today.

I would greatly appreciate advice on how to remove the oil filler plug in my car's Diff. The Diff well may be a ZF in a Sierra casing (no markings obvious) fitted to a 2002 R300.

There are a set of what look like torx screw attaching the rear diff plate. I have T40,50,60 sockets and none fit.

Access to the oil filler plug with the Dion tube in place is also a challenge!

1. What is the size and type of the socket is the filler as I can't find anything that fits properly?

2. What is the best way to access the filler and undo it?

3. Are they normally very tight?

I have a pump to remove and refill the oil so once I get the filler plug undone all will hopefully be plain sailing. At the moment feel I have wasted a good afternoon’s holiday doing a 30min job! *confused*

Simon N

Hi Simon

I find the best way to do this is to support the car on axle stands so that the de dion tube drops and the remove the boot floor. You can then get acces to the filler plug from above. I use a 10 mm Allen key and slide a 2 foot long piece of steel tube over the end. The plug then loosens easily.

Shouldn't take half a day!

Graham

Removing the boot floor is definitely a good idea.

I find it helps to use a short section of allen key held in a Crow's foot wrench on a breaker bar. This means there is plenty of clearance. Most allen key socket drivers are too long.

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 26 Oct 2012 17:49:35