Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Intercom for a natter with passenger

colincagain

Any recommendations please? Looking for robust, high quality, easy to install, fits inside both full face helmets for track days and not silly money. Just interested in talking to crazy next door neighbour not pits or elsewhere...several in demon tweeks catalogue...thoughts?? experience???

DT cat have the omp one about £50. This gets yo an amp (req. 2 x 9v batt) and the internal helmet stuff. You can then add on the Practice headsets (expensive, but v.good IMO).

Terratrip seem to do something similar too, at slightly less cost.

I have had no problems with the OMP stuff, and it is comfortable to waer also.

Regards,

Martin

The problem with the cheapies is the wind noise suppression. Esp bad if you have a JPE style screen.

Blocking the gap round your chin with foam, a scarf or a neck brace helps a lot.

Yuo have to do both driver and pass of course!!!

They are better than nothing even without any noise reduction stuff as you can at least talk quite well below 50mph, in slow bends, hairpins etc..

Not sure how much better the cheapies are with a full screen and side screens? Never tried.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 3 Nov 2002 18:00:00

The Maplin system is called 'Chatterbox' and was on special offer as stated a couple of months ago for 9.99 (usual price 19.99). I bought 5 sets and have converted 'em (well four anyway) to headset operation. They are really good for the money and as stated, not a lot if you don't like 'em for in-helmet use. Ebay have them on sometimes too!!! *thumbup*

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

We installed the Peltor system as we could clip into our helmets, or wear the practise headsets without mods. I can attest that the practise headsets on the Nurburgring were the dogs b 🙆🏻llocks.

We used them for 4000 miles in Sept-> Oct touring europe and would buy them again. We didn't splash out on the industrial strength amplifier, but the 9V version. In time we'll probably buy the industrial one, to interface mobiles and MD player.

A number of folks on the same trip had Terratrip, there seems to be a roughly 40:60 split Peltor to Terratrip in my sample of about 20 cars

Go team GBR

w1scb,

Do you wear the practice headsets on the road in the UK ? Don't plod take a dim view ? I wear custom earplugs all the time in the car ( I SAID .....) but they are a little more discrete shall we say than the Peltor headsets ! Anyone know what the real law is on wearing headphones in the car ?

The best type of intercom to use would be either the Peltor or terratrip pro as both these units have noise cancelling mics which takes out all the wind noise that make conversation difficult over approx 50 mph.

Quality wise the peltor has no rival ,hence 90% of WRC cars run with the sys.

There is no difference in sound quality between FMT200 and FMT100 only features which are of use to rallying.

The terrtrip sys will require 12v power source whereas peltor is 9v pp3.

As with everything in life you get what you pay for

Dave

Sounds as though I need to get the kids to join forces and get the £10 / £20 bike job for a try... and then I have time for a mega birthday present of the peltor set pre Ring next year if needed. Are the FMT100 and FMT200 the best models for working with helmets? DT prices imply £95 for amp and 2 lots of £75 for headsets - total £250 instead of 10 or 20!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Colin

The OMP JA800 intercom shown here, as sold by DT for £55+VAT *eek*, can be bought for just £30 from Rallybits, give them a call though as they arent shown on the website for some reason.

I got one from them which I use in my aeroscreen'd BEC and as long as you get the mic up inside the crash helmet, then wind isnt much of a problem, perfectly usable on track and for £30 you can't go wrong.

cheers

Chris

Edited by - chrisg on 10 Nov 2002 01:38:38

Dave L, etc...

We DO wear our headsets when on long-ish journeys in the UK and have been near the plod on a number of occaisions with no nothing from them. I suspect that may be due to them being deaf after the 7's exhaust comes by them, but going across 6 countries in Europe in September no police seemed to care about them. They were far more interested in checking out the 7 😬

Steve

SV VHPD *idea*

Drive like your wife *wink* depended on it....

click here to see our 7 and rallye pictures....

I always assumed that the whistling noise that comes through my Terraphone intercom was just not being filtered out properly and is caused by the alternator. I just got used to it and occasionally find it useful (e.g. a change in tone when the cooling fan switches on/off). But while watching the rallying last night, I found it very amusing that some of the WRC cars (I think it was a Subaru) had the same problem - and if a multimillion pound budget cannot find a solution, then I can't be bothered to look any further.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!