Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Gearbox, now what about the diff?

andyseven

I have had a new gearbox fitted under warranty by CC to my still new (ish/June 2012) CSR. This has solved 90% of the problem - still some rattle on lift off...... However, this nows brings me to the question of the diff.

Has anyone got a LSD that makes no noise at all? or is some whine unavoidable?

Edited by - andyseven on 17 Sep 2012 15:39:12

Hi Andy

I can't hear much when I've got my foot down so no I can't hear a whine over the engine and exhaust sounds and certainly nothing that changes pitch relative to speed. However, I get the much documented backlash noise and growl when lifting off.

must be feature..... *eek*

Diff noise is not inevitable, my 2005 CSR 260 with a LSD has virtually no noise at all. Maybe a little clonk if I'm a trifle clumsy on the throttle, by no whine, no growl, no chattering nothing.

When I took delivery of the kit I was a little peeved to find that CC had supplied a second hand, but refurbished diff, probably done by R & R, but the best diffs. are secondhand ones anyway. I know it takes an enormous leap of faith to put an old s/h diff into your brand new car, but do it and it will be a really quiet Seven, with or without a LSD.

I have done this on most of my past Sevens and never had serious noise issues.

Paul

CC never used OE Ford LSD's as these were a viscous version, they used reclaimed final drives which were remanufactured by a number of companies over the year, I understand they did use new pattern CWP which proved to be of a lesser quality than the reclaimed OE ones.

LSD's were fitted for CC originally the plate ZF version in standard and modified versions, AP Suretracs and now Titan's new plate version.

5 speed gearboxes are the same too since both these and the final drives have been out of production for some time now.

It's odd that if you build your own kit and supply your own remanufactured items then both these items are classed as second hand in the IVA count of used parts, however if CC supply them from the same source they count as new items?

For those not having jumped through the SVA / IVA hoops you are only permitted I believe 2 reconditioned items if you are requesting a new registration (non Q) on a new build kit.