Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Major strip down and rebuild

Chaz23

The time has come when I have had to get a second car (Something practical) which I pick up delivery of next week.

So while I have a sensible car I will be doing a complete strip down and rebuild of the 7. What I am looking for is any blogsphotoshintstips regarding the stripping down and rebuilding. I will do as much of the work myself to save on costs as I can already see the bill to rebuild her is going up and up! I will be keeping the 1700 XFlow and will also strip and rebuild at the same time.

Use a digital camera and take lots of pictures... I mean lots.. of all the bolts, washer locations etc. Wiring connectors and pipe routing etc. Freezer bags and a sharpie pen to label everything and some stacking storage boxes to keep it in, with contents lists on them.

You will also need some nitrile gloves (a couple of boxes), old paint brushes and lots of white spirit (for de greasing and general gunk removal, plus some tubs to put things in as you clean them.

I replaced all the high tensile bolts so make a list of the ones required and get them before you start.

Engine hopist and stand are really useful as well as good work lights.

They are very simple to strip and re-build so long as you are methodical and keep all bits together.

Stripping will take about 3 weekends.

Re conditioning and cleaning parts... depends on what you want to do but can be a while!

Re-build is around 4 weeks of evenings and weekends, but that depends on your skill level and if you have other demands on your time.

My strip down:

here

Edit for spelling and bad link.

Jon

Edited by - jonboylaw on 10 Sep 2012 10:57:36

Edited by - jonboylaw on 10 Sep 2012 10:58:42

It's worth searching the archive for a list of things people have done when they stripped and rebuilt their cars.

There's lots of things that are worth doing during the rebuild, for example a removeable scuttle.

I've probably got my list somewhere if that's any help.

Cheers

Rob