Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this the K Series click?

StuB

A few weeks ago my car (1.6k SS) started playing up by not starting! In the beginning it was just occasionally, then I found I could cure it by rocking the car back and forth while in gear, now it's all the time and it won't start without a bump.

Turn on the ignition with the key, press the starter button and just get a click which seems to come from the ECU. It happens whether hot or cold.

Could it be battery, not sure of it's age but I do have it plugged in to a conditioner all the time when not in use. Borrowed an Aldi battery tester and that seems fine.

Any suggestions would be great but remember you're dealing with a mechanical novice *confused*

Stu

Edited by - StuB on 30 Aug 2012 14:35:44

Edited by - StuB on 30 Aug 2012 14:48:03

If its CLICKING the answer is in the sound It's the K series Click

Searck the archives its the most documented problem in Tech Talk

But for dear sake dont start it again on here its been done to death yr in yr out 😬 😬 *mad*

Oh and yess I drive a K series and have done for past 15 yrs

• Leadership Team

I found the cure *wavey* Find a car with all the upgrades you can ever want already done, then start to return it to original spec and condition being totally OCD about every aspect you touch ..... it's a sort of post-traumatic stress disorder for upgraditis afflicted meddlers 😬

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu (B),

It's sometimes the solenoid that is actually fixed onto the starter motor that is the problem.

I've had a couple of problems with mine. Firstly, I'd got a broken soldered joint where the solenoid spade connector fits. The starter motor/solenoid was silent, but the relay in the MFRU could be heard to click. If I jiggled the connection, it would start. I removed the starter motor, and resoldered the joint.

Secondly, somehow, the plastic casing on the solenoid had cracked, and debris could get into the large contacts that actualy engergise the starter motor its self, and prevent them making contact. The starter motor/solenoid would click, but did not actually turn the motor over. I removed the motor assembly, cleared all debris, and then rebuilt the broken case with Araldite. (that was about three years ago. It's been fine since)

Do you get any sound from the area of the starter motor at all?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, it seems that Richard is right it's a dodgy connection on the solenoid as it starts after I jiggle (technical term).

Now off to find a contortionist who can help me remove the starter motor!