Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil temp too low

tonino

bonjour,

engine is a s3 with k series engine fitted with pace dry sump and brise tank located at front of the car.

i have a SPA gauge with sensor in tank and oil temp never goes above 65° (when blatting at speed) and never above 55 on m way or normal drive.

no oil cooler fitted of course, but i have a laminova (smaller one because of PRRT plumbing)

anyone here fitted insulation or wrapping to the brise tank to help the temp to reach 80-85°?

merci

I suggest you start with the obvious and check that the oil temperature is as cool as is indicated by the temperature sensor. Use of an infra red thermometer showed that my cooling system was working correctly and that the temperature sensor/gauge was at fault.

@clousta : will double check, but pretty sure spa sensors are accurate!

@sm25t : googd idea, but it would be a very tight fit on my instalation. is the air flow the main thing that prevents oil temp to rise?

Edited by - tonino on 23 Aug 2012 18:31:08

Like SM25T says it might be down to the airflow and mine is the same . I can sit stationary with the engine running and the oil temp can say 70 deg and when I start moving it will drop. The aly tank will cool on the outer surface where the sender is but the oil is taken from centre where it will be hotter.

Jason