Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil cooler install - SLR?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Does anyone have any photos of the normal oil cooler install on an SLR/R400? I think that fitment is between the rad and header tank and there's a deflector plate mounted on the top facing forward.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Radtec rad so not enough space low down in front, would need to be at least half way up. Loathed to restrict the airflow through the rad so looking for an alternative solution. My old car had a (Caterham fitment) oil cooler low down behind the horns.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Unfortunately my air intake is occupying the space in front of the rack! I was however thinking about using something like this from Caterham to either force air down to a cooler installed above and behind the rad, or up from below to a cooler installed behind the rack. And before anyone mentions it ..... yes I intend to use a sandwich plate with integral thermostat, probably set at 83ºC!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Your correct John that I need cold air for the intake ... of course the image is without the radiator fitted. Here's a shot with the radiator in place *thumbup* I've cleaned the garage floor since then as well *tongue*

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 15 Aug 2012 22:42:15

• Leadership Team

I'm not yet! Engine freshly built and heading for the track after the next oil change. However having had a couple of different 7s and having tracked them both I know how easy it is to get the oil to 120ºC especially on a warm day, and especially with higher powered engines. This one has 222bhp available if I want to use it *tongue*

I've used oil cooler and Laminova setups in the past, and although I've found the Laminova to be very good at bringing the temp back down after a good thrashing, it was not as good as an air-oil cooler at keeping it in check in the first place. I'm considering an oil cooler install with a thermostatic sandwich plate to be a belt & braces approach to look after my install taking some worry out of track time. I've never had a temperature issue for road use.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

.... to add .... an oil cooler install is a pretty low cost modification even with a thermostatic take-off. Therefore are there any reasons not to do it? Peace of mind seems a strong reason to do it and I already have the oil radiator!

Stu.

Thanks for the better image Stu, but surely the air coming through the radiator will heat up the ducting for the air intake behind? Would have thought that short and sweet is preferable in this case.

Either way, I thought the Caterham oil coolers fitted in front of the radiator, so would be above the air intake in this case?

Quoting sforshaw: 
.... to add .... an oil cooler install is a pretty low cost modification even with a thermostatic take-off. Therefore are there any reasons not to do it? Peace of mind seems a strong reason to do it and I already have the oil radiator!

Stu.

Stu,

Can't you fit it in front of the rad like here

Just to add to what Dave J has said ,

My R400 was rolling roaded at 218 bhp ( two steves ) and have never had an issue with high oil temperature on track . I have the large Cat radiator and 82 degree stat and temperatures seem to stay stable .

Do you really need ?

Can't understand your comment about the laminova bringing the temp down after a good thrash but not stopping it getting up there in first place what unearthly way had you it plumbed remember Steve my 240 BHP K had dry sump and laminova and even thrashing it in horrendous temps in new Mexico never had an oil temp problem plus a much quicker oil warm up Now I know I'm old and senile but would some intelligent being explain to me just how in any example an oil cooler is better that a Laminova Providing of course the rad is fit enough to loose all the heat.