Click here if you are having website access problems ×

squeaky pads

dom69

My front pads have just started to squeal when applied and then only usually when going slow, like in traffic. Do I just need to copper seize between pads and calliper? Have been told they might need replacing, have got some new pads but they're the race pads, is this a problem? I got them from caterham but it does say on the box not for road use. any help and advice greatly accepted. Thanks *thumbup*

My pads (mintex 1144) have done 1600 race miles and 20000 road miles. I've always driven it like I stole it and there's loads left in all 8. Since my caliper foolishness the other week I'd be delighted if my brakes squealed a bit, so long as they stopped me!

Mintex Ceratec. Grease specific for the purpose.

Does not seem to dry out and leave clarty copper paste residue. Also sure to be seal rubber friendly.

The squeal can be caused by glazed pads. Whip them out and smoothly draw file across the faces may clear the problem. It may stay away too if the circumstance which made them glaze is not encountered again.

Also, brake dust drsgging along inside the pad to disc interface can cause noises. Cutting a 1/8" slot in the friction material to within 1/8" of the backplate can fix this as much dust escapes. Many slightly reluctant to attack pads with files and hacksaws but like the chamfering trick mentioned above, some mods to the friction material can help fix probs.

Domus, extend your pad life by swapping outer to inner half way through! *smile* *rolleyes*

Peter

Domus, extend your pad life by swapping outer to inner half way through

Good point, I intend stripping fronts next service ie 12 months. I used to do this when I had EBC discs before, the dimples and grooves become packed with dust, as do the grooves in the pads. Proper servicing, main dealers don't even remove wheels on a service, never mind stripping and cleaning brakes.

Edited by - Domus on 30 Jul 2012 21:19:11

I've used Ceratec for years since a free tube with some Mintex M171 pads 🥰. They used to squeal like a stuck pig. Chamfered, filed snd grooved for England but basically they hated commuting from Gravelly Hill to Lode Lane.

When Mintex went all eco asbestos free it took a while before 1144 formula was up to the job of stopping a tweaky V4. I recall an set of early 1144s lasting about 60 tarmac miles. Much better now.

The formulae/recipe must change over time but 1144, 1155, 1166 are like brand names now. Eg. 3 5 7 Series BMW.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Good News; finally got round to doing something about the squealing today, i chamfered the pads, cut a groove in them matching the depth of the m1144 racing pads, took the glaze of with some sand paper and applied copper slip (it was all i had to hand) to the rear of the pads and success!!! 😬 I don't know which action cured it but now i can finally stop without sounding like a cat being castrated.