Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel cap vents

keybaud

If your car has fuel injection the filler cap won’t have a breather. You will more than likely have one of those weird carbon canister gadgets under the bonnet.

Quite a few people (myself included) have removed the canister and fitted a conventional breather pipe as shown here.

Graham

Edited by - Graham D on 19 Jul 2012 16:23:25

I don't have a filler cap at all. My car is an ex-Vauxhall Challenge Caterham, which all had rubber bag tanks with the fuel cap on top of the tank inside the boot. I'm about to fit a custom made tank from Andy Wiltshire, which has a 57mm neck and no secondary vent/breather/overflow. This means that I need a cap that can breath or I'll have to fit a breather to the filler hose or to the tank.

I used a Newton cap that fitted to the original carb elephant's trunk pipe. This needs a small (2 - 3mm) hole drilled in it, otherwise you eventually get fuel starvation due to the vacuum. The caps are available from Think Automotive. One advantage is that there is no problem filling from modern pumps, unlike the CC venting system which is apparently a PITA.

Edited to add that I drilled the hole under the lift-up locking tab

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 20 Jul 2012 11:45:53

Keybaud - as an aside, is the new tank a conventional ali construction, or another bag-tank?

I want to replace the 25litre tank in one of my sevens (the BEC Westie) with a long-range touring tank and it seems the best route is to send the current one off to be used as the pattern for a taller version (have asked around about having the current one modified, but you get a better reception talking to a Thesp about Macbeth...! 😬)

So I'm looking for someone who could do the job...

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting Myles: 
Keybaud - as an aside, is the new tank a conventional ali construction, or another bag-tank?

I want to replace the 25litre tank in one of my sevens (the BEC Westie) with a long-range touring tank and it seems the best route is to send the current one off to be used as the pattern for a taller version (have asked around about having the current one modified, but you get a better reception talking to a Thesp about Macbeth...! 😬)

So I'm looking for someone who could do the job...

Sorry for the delay in replying. My tank was made by Andy Wiltshire. He is very good and mine was built to the space available within my chassis, which gave me 40l of fuel without having to raise my boot floor. I'm sure he could do a good job for you.