Click here if you are having website access problems ×

high idle speed

fordy

My 1.4SS seems to be running a high idle speed (for the last 2 days). Mostly settling around 1600rpm!

Any ideas and what could cause this? My first thought is the air-flow sensor which I assume is somewhere between the K&N and the rest of the inlet manifold.

Otherwise seems to be running ok.

Before doing anything else try re-setting the ECU.

If you don't know the procedure is ignition on, slowly press the accelerator to the floor and release five times and ignition off. At the end of this you should hear the ICV resetting (a whirring noise)

You can also check the vacuum pipe going to the ECU.

Regards

Allen

IACV is most commonly the problem. Easy enough to get to although I never managed to diagnose why it was sticking. "Crap machining" comes to mind... as does "not strictly necessary for a performance car".

Squirt its insides with WD40, reassemble and see if it works. If it fails again later, then I would suggest that any lubrication it needs for normal operation is being stripped by the fuel (anyone who says it never comes into contact with fuel only needs to sniff one.. They do) or dirt ingress is causing the problem (same reason - fuel). In this case I'd suggest you might need closer inspection to see if there's any obvious areas where it is binding and lightly machine it (with sandpaper or a grenade).

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

• 2 weeks later...

a good clean of IACV and a little squit of WD40 followed by repeated MEMS resets does not seem to have fixed the problem.

The idle characteristic had changed in the meantime from high idle at 1600 to the engine revving itself at idle between 800-1600rpm. Or is the word 'hunting'?

I wonder if it is anything to do with the totally corroded HT lead at the disi.

It seems at some point the plug leads where changed but not the Coil to Disi HT lead. It had totally corroded in the disi such that when I disconnected, it managed to part with the connector. I managed to spoon out bits of corroded connector. Must have been hanging on, literally by a thread!!!!

I am assuming the set of new Bosch plug and Coil leads i'll fit tonight will cure my problem.

Is it likely that the engine management system will have been trying to run the engine rich to compensate for a weak spark? I'll pop the plugs out and check out whats what.

Maybe the car will go a little quicker too..........

Fordy,

Would be very grateful to hear if your solution works. Mine has been idling fast intermittently for most of the summer and we cannot find out why. Have put it on a diagnostic machine but idle valve appears to be fine. have been told it is possible that crank sensor is out ( *confused* *confused*)

Have also suffered from intermittent throttle sticking when opened up - can be somewhat unnerving when blast passed a few cars pull in behind next one , lifting off, only to find car continuing to pull!!!

Nifty.

changed all leads and plugs last night but does not seem to have fixed the idle problem. Initially i'd made it worse and could not start the car again but swapping a couple of leads around in the disi fixed that 😳

I had a chat with some of our guys here at Ford and have been told the problem is a 'rolling idle'. They think its probably because I'm getting some leakage past the throttle at idle. I can confirm thats probably the case because one thing I discovered last night is that if I manually press the throttle closed with my fingers, the car achieves a steady idle. The only problem then is it won't release without a good boot on the accel pedal.

So basically I think I need to work on the throttle in the throttle body housing to seat itself properly when the cable is full slack. It's either dirt or distortion of the throttle body and is a reasonably well known phonomena with plastic throttle bodies.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the throttle body but it looks like a clean in the first instance.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Fordy, if you have the plastic TB on your car, and assuming the filter is held on with a large jubilee clip, moving the clip round 90 degrees and re-tightening, might help you to reshape the TB. And don't be afraid to tighten!

The TB on my car was a bit sticky initially. I tried this out and it worked for me. It seems to have worked permanently too, in that I can remove the filter altogether and the throttle butterfly moves freely now.

thanks for the tip Nick.

I had the TB off last night and it is certainly sticking, as suspected due to distortion.

Hopefully your trick might work.

Otherwise its a new TB.

Which gets me thinking about DVA'd K's with a full set of 'real' throttle bodies.

mmmmmm............................