Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Play in the front hubs. Bearings or ball joints

Ads7

Jacked the 7 up this evening to have a pre check before the penn 7 blat on Saturday. Rear end was all tight with no Issues. Then jacked the front up to check the front end for play etc. If I hold both wheels 12&6 and give em a shake there is some movement. No movement if I hold the wheels at 9&3. Is it likely to be ball joints or bearings as I would like to sort it before my first meet on Saturday.

I might try and get her over to my dads work place this evening so we can get a better look together. And if it's either bearings or ball joints where would it be possible to get these from. Are they caterham specific parts or will it be possible to go to an auto factors for the parts.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam

A little play when checking at 12 and 6 seems to be normal.

To check the lower spherical and top ball joints jack up the front untill the wheels are clear and insert a crow bar or long lever under the tyre and lift, with your other hand check for no movement of the joints.

Hope to see you at Penn.

John

Jacked her back up and I am pretty sure there is play in the bottom spherical bearings. Obviously quite a common problem. I will whip them off after the meet on Saturday and get them sorted.

Cheers for the crow bar tip John, see you Saturday.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Today I replaced the spherical bearing to eliminate the play in the hub, a surprisingly easy job. Put her all back together and there is still movement. I am quite sure it's the wheel bearings, are the bearing adjustable re can you just nip them up on the castle nut or is it a replacement jobby.

It's not an urgent job as they are not rumbling at all and the movement is only a little and would pass an mot. I'm just anal :-D

Adam

Edited by - Ads7 on 14 Jul 2012 19:17:25

• Area Representative
Have you used bearing lock to hold the spherical bearing in tight? You will get a small amount of play with the new bearing moving in the wishbone if it's not loctited in