Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma upgrade - updated

Garth

Starting to make serious enquiries about upgrading my Sigma 125 to something approaching 200bhp. Have read various posts and will be talking to Jeff Wilson of HWR Motorsport on Phil Morris' recommendation. Also want to go and see the set up at Premier Power.

Keen to keep the reliability?!

Is there anyone else I should speak to? - am in London, so close by would be good!

Also any other suggestions as to what I should do to my car would be great - basically do a few track days a year and enjoy blatting. Have a standard Roadsport with adjustable shocks. Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Garth on 5 Feb 2013 22:48:09

Martin, totally fair enough - just checking you had considered it. I chose not to sell and re-buy for emotional reasons and also because I wanted to do it myself. Gotta do something for entertainment here over the long winter evenings - we don't have a telly!

From memory, apologies if I miss anything, but:

Ported head

Balanced & polished crank

new pistons

New cams

Lightened flywheel

5.25" Race clutch (Superclutch)

Verniers

Dry sump (plus reworking engine mounts to fit - Pace dry sump bolts to same place where Caterham engine mounts go on the Sigma)

New Emerald ECU (also combined with switching to DASH2 and entirely reworked dash which I did myself)

I kept the standard Caterham throttle bodies (39mm) which I already had, but likely to switch to Jenveys (42mm) next year.

RR at Emerald gives 188bhp

In terms of road use with hindsight I wouldn't go for an (as extreme) race clutch, I had to switch to smaller bore hydraulic master cylinder and I moved the pivot point on the clutch pedal in order to avoid stalling all the time.

The dry sump you could probably do without if not racing too. (There are lots of race sigmas without dry dumps and I havn't heard of any problems in this area).

Plus it could be made to work with the existing MBE I expect rather than switching to Emerald which would save money and keep the loom changes much simpler.

Finally it was RatRace rather than RaceLine.

John

As on the other similar post about this recently, I recommend starting with the ECU upgrade and a wideband lambda probe. I went with an Emerald and an Innovate LC-1. If you do load of other stuff before the ECU, then you'll not be getting the full advantage of the upgrades you're making, and could actually be damaging stuff. Eg. If you port the head to increase gas-flow then there'll be more air rushing into the cylinder, but the same amount of fuel as before so it'll burn hotter, increasing the risk of detonation and head-gasket problems.

• 7 months later...
HWR just told me my little Sigma 125 is now a Sigma 202 😬with 138 torques(lb/ft) 😬 after his rebuild. Cannot wait to see how it feels to drive! *wink* *wink*. Peak power and torque at 7800. Peak power used to be at about 5500 rpm! Lots of oil changes coming up!

Interesting stuff. Jeff Wilson has a good reputation. Never heard a bad word said about him.

190-200 bhp out of a 1600 cc engine should be good fun to drive. My old 1800 Zetec had 189bhp and in retrospect for a general purpose, do everything, car it was the best I had. The obsession with Duratecs made me change, but 190 bhp is the start of the fun zone in Caterhams in my opinion.

Look forward to hearing your driving impressions Garth.