Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steerin u/j on build

pug7

trying to fit the steering on the 7 build, seems no way to fit the u/j to the lower steering column and steering rack. The only way to get it on the steering rack is to undo the steering rack bolts lift the rack up an inch or so to fit, as soon as you lower the steering rack back down the u/j is jammed solid on the diagnol down chassis frame.

Either im doing something completly stupid, or something is obviously wrong ?

Any suggestions to save waiting till tues to ring the wizards at Caterham ?

dont know how you insert a pic into a posting ? dont have any online albums etc, but happy to email pic if thats an option ?

As it stands, if you fit the uj to the rack and drop the attach bolt through, put the lower steering shaft into the other end the uj is sat on the chasis frame thats runs from the lower outer frame upto the upper centre - the rack is about 4mm above where it should sit "floating" as you carnt get the rack to sit on the chasis due the uj sat on the frame ?

Even a big hammer wont help (no ive not hit it but did think about it !)

yup there the ones that came with the kit

The thicker half (35mm ish) is under the rack, the thinner 25mm ish one is on top so i can only make matters worse by reversing them..

Edited by - pug7 on 3 Jun 2012 17:48:36

Eugene - thanks a lot ! the only thing I hadnt tried having been looking at it on and off for 2 days. Now I can turn the steering wheel and things waggle at the front *smile*

Thanks to tweekt too, but I got your post after i got back from the garage.

Problem solved thanks guys, on with the build we go (although no rush looking out the garage door at the weather!)