Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rockingham - this weekend

Mark Gibson

Hi All,

I just thought I would let you know that Matthew Willoughby will be racing at Rockingham this weekend along with all of the other Graduates (Hi James and Roger et al *wavey*).

I have turned my "I hate Matthew Willoughby" t-shirt inside out and I will be there cheering him on for Saturday and it would be great if you would join us *wavey*

Tickets are £10 for each day and 16s and under get in for free and the ticket allows you full grandstand and paddock access.

The Graduates are supported ( *tongue*) by the Formula Renault series, Porsche GT3 and Pickup Trucks (Sunday only) - the full timetable is here - although subject to change etc.

Matthew's Qualifying and Race 1 are at 11.45am and 3.50pm on Saturday, respectively and Race 2 is at 3pm on Sunday.

Race 2 went much better even though I only finished 10th. I managed to stay with the lead group for the first time and finished 3.2 seconds behind second place (the winner had a 4 second gap). I had a small off trying to get past James Russell, sorry James, but didn't lose too much time, although you don't have to lose much time to lose 2 places. It was great fun and I am getting used to driving in close proximity to other cars.

The video is currently uploading and will follow shortly. I'll post race 1 another time but it isn't particularly exciting in comparison - Mark, Dad, you saw the wrong race!

Quoting Matthew Willoughby: 
I had a small off trying to get past James Russell, sorry James, but didn't lose too much time, although you don't have to lose much time to lose 2 places. It was great fun and I am getting used to driving in close proximity to other cars.

It's unfortunate you couldn't get it stopped for Yentwood, call me a cynic but with that entry speed and being that you were off-line, I wasn't too surprised!

To be honest, if you'd made that move stick, I'm not sure what I would've been able to do about it with the short couple of laps we had left.

It's a shame you now have such a long wait before you're in the car again, but I'm sure Mark will enjoy Anglesey just as much *thumbup*

Congratulations on a good clean drive. As you say, there was barely any time seperating you from the very front.

I'm very grateful to everyone in the club for the help and support over the weekend, as for all intents and purposes after the testing crash I was lucky to be racing at all.

David, Mark, thank you for your kind comments. Next goal has to be beating a few of the front runners rather than following them home.

James, your cynicism was perfectly justified. I hadn't tried that line into the corner before and I was determined that you shouldn't be allowed to go around the outside of me. A bit too determined as it turned out! I'm not used to driving off-line. I'm really pleased with my move on Amanda at the end of the 2nd lap - I judged that rather better! I don't think she expected me to try it as she left the door very open.