Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T TomTom charger lead

Roger Ford

Charger on my TomTom doesn't work, and investigation shows one of the three wires is broken. Guess I can just solder on a new mini-USB plug, but why are there three leads? They are coloured red, black and white.

And bonus question - anyone know which connectors on the mini-USB plug they should connect to?

I know I can get an aftermarket charger from ebay for about £1.50, but they generally don't supply anything like the 2A that the TomTom needs to charge and run at the same time. A genuine one is about £13, which would buy a lot of solder.

Well here would suggest (to my mind) that the 3rd cable is the "ID" cable and not used - until I looked at Wikipedia I had no idea it was possible for there to be 5 wires in a USB plug.

Hopefully the images on the page will help with the pinouts you need

Mike

Edited by - michaeljclark on 12 May 2012 19:43:49

Eugene - thanks for that, very useful. My Googling had failed to find that.

LazerBrain -I did consider that, but (a) I've got lots of mini-USB cables lying around, and (b) I suspect the cheap ones don't include the sense wire anyway - they probably just provide a fixed 5V. OTOH, I could just solder the white+red together onto the positive of the cheap one and I guess that should do the job.

Of course all I actually need to do is find out the pinout of a standard USB connector - since it must be using the same 5V pins (or it wouldn't work connected to a computer).

Quoting Roger Ford: 

Of course all I actually need to do is find out the pinout of a standard USB connector - since it must be using the same 5V pins (or it wouldn't work connected to a computer).

Is that not detailed in the Wiki page I linked to *confused* under the "Physical appearance" section?

Mike

Yes, I wasn't implying it was hard.

Well, I found an old USB - Mini USB cable, cut the wire, connected red on the plug cable to red and white on the charger, and connected black to black. Soldered it all up neatly and covered it in multiple layers of shrink wrap (and replaced the fuse in the charger for good luck). It still didn't work.

So I threw it in the bin and will buy a new one one after all.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Yes, I wasn't implying it was hard.

Well, I found an old USB - Mini USB cable, cut the wire, connected red on the plug cable to red and white on the charger, and connected black to black. Soldered it all up neatly and covered it in multiple layers of shrink wrap (and replaced the fuse in the charger for good luck). It still didn't work.

So I threw it in the bin and will buy a new one one after all.

This is my approach to electrics, generally, too. Things that should be easy never turn out to be ...

Jez

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 13 May 2012 23:24:32