Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel fixing

Tim V-W

Having not thought about the consequenses I have just had a part worn AO21R fitted to my spare to replace the CR500 that I had previously and now the fixing bolt wont line up in any way with the boss on the rear panel.

As Caterham fitted my CR500's to replacement 13" 8 spoke wheels and simply put the bolt through one of the stud holes I have no idea how a spare is usually fixed.

I am leaning towards finding a way to get the bolt through the centre and pad the sides of the carrier to raise it up a little but need ideas for ways to hold the centre bolt to the wheel.

Typically it had to happen today, because we are off to Wightblat tomorrow, so any and all ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Fitted with a Y-piece with a central tube and two studs that pick up on wheel holes. Long bolt and sleeve pass though central tube and into boss on rear panel.

Want me to go and get bits from CC today ?

edit - meanwhile, you could sit the wheel on the carrier with something between it and the rear of the car and fix it down to the carrier with a ratchet type luggage strap (very tight).

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 12 Apr 2012 14:47:47

Quoting Tim V-W: 
I am leaning towards finding a way to get the bolt through the centre and pad the sides of the carrier to raise it up a little but need ideas for ways to hold the centre bolt to the wheel.

May not be the quick solution you're after but a T bar welded to a suitable bolt, a large dished washer, and oil hose on the support frame here;-)

Tim,

The usual way of lifting the wheel slightly to line up the hole is to apply pipe insulation to the carrier

Available in at least two different thicknesses from most DIy places

Did this on my SV when swapping spares from 13" to 15" etc etc

Will try and dig out a photo here

Rik

Edited by - Windy Corner on 12 Apr 2012 15:12:38

My current K-Series has the Y-piece and bolt as per SM25T's posts. Just to confuse matters at least two types of Y-piece have been produced over the years. My previous Supersprint had a longer bolt and dished washer as per Neil66's post.

I have a spare Y-piece, various bolts (although probably not long enough for your purposes), and an old dished washer in my box of bits. If you can lash together a temporary fix, and happen to be passing my way on the way to or from the Wightblat, then you're welcome to try them to see if they're of any use to you.

Edit: Worth mentioning that the Y-piece acts as a spacer which allows access to all the press studs on the boot cover without removing the spare wheel. The dished washer and bolt clamp the spare wheel onto the edge of the boot cover, so the spare wheel has to be loosened if you want to gain access to the centre press studs.

Edited by - Mort on 12 Apr 2012 16:37:25

Thanks all

I have the centre bolt, but I reckon CC Mids didnt return the Y piece when they changed my wheels.

CC Mids have one in stock so will collect that and the two nuts that are also required.

Will use Neils or Riks method for raising the wheel off the carrier.

edit to add - I suppose the unexpected expense will at least now allow access to the boot cover studs *eek*

Tim

Edited by - Tim V-W on 12 Apr 2012 17:18:54

All nicely new and bagged up - reconditioned stock perhaps *wink*

Tried the idea that they still had my old one, but it didn't fly. Unfortunately none of the staff that were involved when they changed my wheels are still there!!