Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau Cover - Dumb or Dumber!

SBD762

Any suggestions - serious ones only please!

Previous owner attempted to fit tonneau cover. All fasteners attach OK EXCEPT (on both sides) the "side/rear" fastener, just below the Roll Bar area. What appears to have happened (unless I am the dumb one? ☹️) is the guy has used a 'huge' rivet to the point it has expanded the Dot Fastener so the Dot Fastener Socket will not fit over it.

I thought (being clever!) I'd drill out the rivet and replace the Dot Fastener. No such luck the size of the rivet hole in the Ally body (NOT me drilling it out!) is around 3/16 " to 1/4"

Any ideas as to how I can repair this so I can fit the tonneau properly or is it a case of ... what?

Thanks in anticipation for any help people.

Cheers *smile*

Steve

This particular fastner on both sides seems to get a lot of stick , both mine have been trouble , someone put a small screw in on side to hold the fastner and in the other which sometimes fails I've had to put a small rivet which can fail too.

Tim

(And everyone) thanks you for your response

Specifically Tim , thanks or the links,

I do not think it was a security fastener - just poorly fitted I believe.

That said I think the Peel rivet will suffice

• Area Representative
Otherwise a little trick is to use a larger pop rivet in the hole with nothing else and then drill the centre out with a 4mm drill and to leave the shank in place in the panel. The body of the rivet acts as the packing material for the smaller rivet *biggrin*