Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx Remote Oil Filter & Hoses

Paul Gibb

Anyone who has done this have pictures of the installation and advice on plumbing?

A quick search has turned up Alan's old thread from which I can see that several Vx's are running with remote filters. My chassis is circa 1995 with the catch tank bracket on the RHS and I also have an oil cooler which is currently situated in the return to the dry sump tank. Although space is a bit tight between the bracket & steering column, I cant really see anywhere else apart from onto this bracket to fit a filter & housing without impeding engine removal/insertion.

Many thanks for your replies *smile*.

After some discussion with James Whiting my remote filter housing is mounted in front of the engine, probably best for me to try and take a picture to show you where. Its easy to get too and the pipe runs are fairly short if that makes any difference. I dont have an oil cooler and I have a standard wet sump system so nothing else in the way.

I ended up doing this to facilitate a mechancial pressure and temp gauge.

Edited by - alan carswell on 16 Mar 2012 07:20:38

Hi Paul

Mine is currently mounted on the rad fan bracket (I have a front mounted fan now) but prior to that I hung it off the l/h chassis side rail between the front upper cruciform. I still (I think) have the alloy bracket if it's any use to you ..

I'll try to send photo's later

Paul,

Mine is where you suggest - for me it is logical because my Pace pump is on the inlet side so the pipework has fairly short runs save for the draw from the tank which runs under the bellhousing - which I've never been that happy with. I'll see if I can take a photo.

On an entirely different topic I have a feeling that I may need to go under your knife/Dremel again shortly 😳

The pressure sensor is fitted to a drilling in the back of the pump on the standard Vx/CCset up, wet or dry sump. If using a separate pump, eg Pace, the pressure sensor is fitted via an adaptor to a drilling in the block behind the pump. Normally this is plugged and the plug has to be unscrewed.

I guess you could fit the pressure sensor to the filter head but normally its the oil temperature sensor that goes there. You can get Mocal filter heads with or without the third port. You can also get them to flow left to right or vice versa,depending on your pipework routing. Take-off is via a sandwich plate that goes into where the filter was fitted to the pump although if you have a cooler you may have this already.

One word of warning if using the sandwich plate for the first time; the dual threaded boss (a short bit of steel pipe) that the original filter screws onto has the wrong thread for the sandwich plate nut and has to be changed. You can remove the old one with mole grips and chuck it away then screw in a new one with the correct thread on either end. If you don't do this the adapter won't fit.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 16 Mar 2012 10:02:54

Paul,

I mounted my filter head to the very same catch can bracket you spotted. The outlet from the pressure side of the Pace pump makes for a short upward run to the filter and a fairly direct path to the front cover's oil feed point. There's plenty of room between the steering shaft and the filter itself. Engine's been out twice with this setup.

My OP and temp sensors are screwed to ports in the Mocal filter bracket, as well as the idiot light switch. Less things to remember to disconnect when pulling the engine.