Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater Bypass

KarlH

Reading something on here recently I noticed mention of the heater bypass hose.

I don't have a heater, nor do I have a bypass hose - the point on the water rail is capped off as is the other side. Should a bypass hose be fitted, does it make any difference or not?

Quoting CharlesElliott: 
If you have no bypass hose, that's fine as long as you don't have a thermostat either. Is it an ex-race engine? They are often like this.

Ah, ok - that could explain it then. The previous owner used it for sprints and hillclimbs, maybe he removed the thermostat . Now you've said that I'm sure Dave Walker commented that it either didn't have one or it wasn't working when I was up there.

Is there an easy way of telling if one is fitted or not? Would there be any difference in temperature behaviour - for example the water temperature never seems to get that high unless I'm sat in traffic for ages but on the move it seems to run quite cool or is that nothing to do with it?!

Sounds like you have no thermostat. My 1.6K has holes drilled in the thermostat and never gets up to temp. That's with almost half the rad blocked off. I'm about to fit a PRRT.

Start the engine and feel the radiator, if it starts to feel warm pretty soon, then chances are you haven't got a thermostat.

Plus, you must have a return path for the water, otherwise you would have no coolant flow, so if the heater bypass has been removed, then there must be another return path.