Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rookie question again

philmorton

Hi,

Entering the championship for the first time and I'm not able to make the Intro Day ☹️. Aside from FIA bar, petty strut, timing strut is there anything else I need to worry about with the car. It's a bog standard CSR260 so I'm assuming class 5 and yes I ticked the "I like to wear a racesuit and drive my Caterham" box on the entry form.

Hi Phil

It was my first season last year.

Mark the earth cable on the battery with yellow tape. My R300 had yellow sleeves on the cable which I slid towards the battery clamp and don't seem to have a problem at scrutineering.

I think you have to show, how to switch ignition off. I made a sticker myself and stuck to dash. ( Being tight ) 😳

I am sure the more experienced guys will be along later to add a few more.

Jeremy

Phil, you will eventually end up with a long check list of things that you need like the rest of us, but for your first event I would just make sure that you get your entry in and accommodation booked in good time, and then if your car is standard you should have no problems. A roll of tape is a good idea as Jeremy says. Check your safety belt is in good condition and you must have a passenger seat.

On the day take your race licence, L7 membership card, helmet, overalls, gloves, driving shoes and some spare petrol. Someone in the paddock will lend you anything else.(I would also recommend taking lots of water/ liquid for yourself).

At your first event ask for a 'Buddy' in your class and they will take you through the whole day as it happens.

I should explain Phil that 'Leg' is in fact a girl, hence the comment 'and accommodation booked in good time' 😔

The common masses 'man up' and camp at most events where a night's stopover is necessary.

😬 😬 😬

If you haven't already, make sure the battery positive terminal is insulated. I just stick a large square of gaffer tape over it, so nothing can short against it. But it seems to attract the scutineer's attention if you don't.

also worth having a read of this article here

Quoting Leg: 
Check your safety belt is in good condition and you must have a passenger seat.

I have the FIA bar with single diagonal. It doesn’t look like the petty strut can be fitted without removing the passenger seat (Tillet).

Could I remove the seat and just leave the belts / put in a foam cushion?

I’ve seen references from searching previous posts ranging from

as long as there is a seat and belt of some description...

to

The seat should either be a seat type as being offered at any time as standard or option on a caterham. alternativly a bag type may be used.

Also, I don’t have any fixings for my petty strut. What bolts are required?

Do I need to drill the petty strut and join the two parts together? I wouldn’t have thought they’d be coming apart once they’re slotted together and bolted into the roll bar and chassis side in any case…

Thanks

James

Edited by - James7 on 22 Feb 2012 14:10:47

• Leadership Team

Hi James,

I would be surprised if the petty strutt didn't fit with the passenger Tillet in place. That's probably the most common combination in the paddock, so unless you have some very unusual combination of spacers under the seat, I can't imagine you would have a problem? I'd just give it a try.

Re fixing the petty strut together, yes, you'll need to mark and drill a hole and put a bolt through. You''ll also need a bolt to go into the chassis in the passenger footwell, and a nut and bolt to go through the mount into the roll bar. Sorry, don't have the sizes to hand at the moment, but thay are nothing unusual!

Best of luck- Michael.

• Area Representative

James,

It's quite possible that Tillet will need to have additional spacers fitted under the front mountings so that the seat becomes more reclined.

The Petty strut is normally fitted and joined with 7/16UNF bolts.

Have you exposed the chassis bush adjacent to a passengers knee?

Thanks guys.

I think I will need spacers to tilt it back if the seat can’t just be removed then as the top of the seat looks to be in the way. Do people just use a stack of penny washers or is there something special I should look for?

Re exposing the bush adjacent to a passengers knee, my car is an ex academy so once had a full cage. There are currently bolts going through where the front legs of the cage were. I assume that if I unbolt the one on the passenger side, the strut should mount here ok?

• Leadership Team

James - Tillett does offer plastic washers in differing thicknesses for the purpose which I am sure are available in packs from Caterham. Might be a bit lighter than a stack of large metal washers but probably no other great advantage?

All the best

Michael

Edited by - Mcalvert on 24 Feb 2012 11:25:05