Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New caterham badge !

Davidmatthews

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was worried these sorts of changes were going to take place. When the batton was passed to Ansar some changes were made of course, but I always felt some sensitivity was placed on the heritage of the brand.

I'm not averse to change usually, but little things like the changes to the Caterham font and now this badge are such a disapointment. Who is responsible for this stuff and do they know or care anything about the brand we have come to love? Maybe I'm being sentimental in my old age (34!). *confused*

Unfortunately, in the brave new future, I can see alot of folk being left behind. I got into the 7 scene in the last few years of the Nearn family ownership, when there was a family to many aspects, including the club and the comaraderie (sp?) of 7 ownership. That changed with the arrival of the management buy in and new professionality of Ansar et al, but not as much as I or others (I think) feared at the time. This transition was helped by the Ansar & Andy roadshows that visited several club areas to talk about what they were doing with the company and direction it was headed, which settled the waters during the transition.

Recently with the Tony Fernandes aquistion, F1 involvement, new higher end models, the lie of the land has changed again, and whilst exciting, there is a bound to be nervousness of how it will change things for the grass roots, ie us chaps in garages who build, break and tinker with the cars. I cant help feeling, some existing members will be left behind with the corporatisation of the brand, and we will start to have more affinity with the wider kit scene and smaller outfits like Redline, 7 workshop etc. New folk will come along and relate more to the latest business model and have different requirements.

The changing of the badge could just be the tip of the iceberg. It would be good for the new regime to repeat the Ansar & Andy roadshow in set out their roadmap for the future for grassroots 7 ownership, rather than wrapping it all in the gloss of F1.

Edited by - TomB on 10 Feb 2012 10:20:44

If that's the case they're being overcautious. The shape and colours are similar, but they're by no means the same.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Yza2u3HlaMFvHEucoZnZKBqar--5TbQC_DO1bA22Jdh5zkbP

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the colours, or have a variation on this with 'Caterham' on it?

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/img/p/950-950-large.jpg

Edited by - Mort on 10 Feb 2012 17:13:15

Here's a thought.....

If we are concerned about:

The new Logo

Focus on new High End models

Tie in to F1

Losing the feel of what Lotus and then Caterham meant to their owners

etc

then maybe some enterprising people who read this site could consider an MBO = Membership buy-out! Of the stuff that we consider represents the world of 7's. Not unlike the buy-out from Lotus way back, just this time not the management buying it but the Members/owners/drivers.

Any takers? *smile*

Quoting diggerman: 
I like the new badge and the direction that Caterham are taking the business. There, I've said it!

PeterC

re the new badge, I wonder if you are the only person on blatchat who likes it? 😳

Can we start a simple vote....for or against & post here. Ansar does read this & you never know they might have a rethink.

I had a spare few minutes so I thought I would see what my primitive Power Point skills could come up with looking at the new logo and thinking about the company pedigree.

If Caterham are going to change the logo, how about this?

Sort of a half way house?

My partner says it is still naff though *cry*

Note - I is an ingineer not a grafik designer!