Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hubs

Bumble

Argh

After a bearing failure, and having gained the confidence to look at both sides and replace stub axle and bearings, here are some pics of my hubs. Looking at them they are scratched and a little pitted. The other of them needs pressing out. Do you think I should just replace them both, or should they be ok?

They are the unrated ones.

Piccy 1

Piccy 2

Thanks

Bumble

They don't look unserviceable to me from those pics. You ought to be able to knock those cups out with a hammer and suitably sized drift, working your way around the clock so to speak. The new cups should tap in, using a drift and hammer again, working round the clock 12, 3, 6 and 9.

You can use a press, but you need to find someone with one and the correctly sized drift etc..

The marks you can see on the hub, rather than the bearing cups should not cause you any issue in use, as no bearings run on those surfaces...

As Mav says, drift out the races and (using a soft drift, copper or ally) drift in new ones. Scoring to the bits that the BACK of the bearing goes on is neither here nor there, the bearings run on the precision ground inner taper surfaces.

One of the older tricks if a bearing race is a loose fit is actually to use a centre punch to make indentations around the female bit of the hub. Usually 3 or 4 suffice. Then when you press in the bearings the little raised craters pick up on the outside (non bearing face) and locate the bearing.