Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smelly Clutch

Krismuss

Having managed to 'smoke' my clutch on a rather eager start at Wings & Wheels this year I though my clutch was on it's way out. However, I've not noticed an slipping at all though on fast getaways I'm still getting and awful smell in the car (not from me either!) - from the clutch (though no smoke this time).

Is this time for a clutch replacement?

Chris *wavey*

As Charlie says. I overheated the clutch in the old Astra, when towing a friend's car that she had left in gear. I thought I might have fried it but they are made of sterner stuff than that. It's been normal ever since, a year or so on.

My parents tow a caravan (I know, I'm sorry) and after hill starts and the likes my Dad quite often reports a stinking clutch. They last fairly well though. The acid test is to get the car going uphill at 30 in 4th gear, then floor the accelerator. If it spins up, the clutch is done. You can provoke this by stabbing the clutch pedal briefly while accelerating, if it's still good you'll get a momentary rise in revs and the clutch will stop it again when released. If it's marginal, once it starts slipping it doesn't pick up again.

• Area Representative

My (22k mile) clutch has had plenty of torture with warming sticky tyres for sprints and hillclimbs. It's out of the car at the moment, and there is no wer evident at all!

As other have said. Don't worry about it *smile*

My clutch test is done stationary, 4th gear, let clutch out slowly. If it stalls, all is well. I go through clutches on the 2CV (and gearboxes... *redface*). But then if you want a good get away in the traffic light drags when you have only 30bhp, you need a bit of aggression *cool*

Oil on the clutch will be bad news, but it will at least stop the flywheel from rusting *tongue*

In the Caterham, I have lots of smells. Diff oil, engine oil, gearbox oil, the outside world, the passenger's fear, coppaslip and exhaust fumes. If the clutch was smelly, I daresay I wouldn't notice *tongue*

Is the clutch operated by cable or hydraulic?

If cable, it's worth checking it is releasing properly. I fried a clutch in 20k miles on my first cat as the nylon sheath had worn and the cable was not releasing the clutch fully... The guy who replaced it for me said I must have been riding the clutch *mad* *mad* Cheeky sod.