Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 poor starting from cold

bluespeed

Some help required please....

After a recent gearbox overhaul and engine removal I am finding my standard 2002 K series car difficult to start from cold, fine when warm. It has throttle bodies fitted. The throttle bodies and exhaust were removed from the engine when removing it from the car but nothing else. It was just fine before I did the work *confused*. New gaskets used in the replacement.

She is now very lumpy on tick over when cold and takes 5 ot 6 or more goes to get her to fire up. Once going and warm runs sweetly.

Before I head for an engine tuner (more ££) I woundered if any one had suggestions as to what to to check... or if all else fails knows a good tuner local to Bedford to sort her out.

Problems starting my car following an engine out.

Does anyone know a good local tuner/diagnoser/fixer to Bedford area to sort my poor starting R300 over Christmas. Runs like a dream when hot. Takes about 5-6 or more gos to get her to go then runs very lumpy on tick over until very warm.

Must be a sensor but can't establish which one or measure anything to diagnose the problem. I have a DVM and can use it if you can point me as what to check!

I had some good advice on the forum from Jason F but so far I have not sorted my car.

Dave Andrews is not far from you, in Milton Keynes. He might be able to help.

I have a 2003 R300 K and it's always quite lumpy when starting in cold conditions, especially if it has not been run for a couple of weeks. However, it does not sound as bad as yours... I would be interested to know when you find a solution!

Ben

My K with roller barrells takes a bit more turning on the starter this time of year and is always a bit lumpy until she has warmed up a little bit. Again when warm she goes a treat. I have changed the throttle body adjustment a couple of times and it seems its a balance between two options. If shes leaner she will fire up quicker but not romp along as friskily or if shes a bit rich shes lumpy on start up and but romps along nicely. My roller barrells are Caterham ones and I am told the Jenvey ones are better engineered with tick over valves ... i may stand corrected if anyone has done a change from one to the other. I just make sure my battery is fully loaded in winter. Adjusting the barrells is easy once you have got the kit. The Minster site is an inital guide to get you going then its fiddle about to get what suits you and the car.

Fil *wavey*

Thank you for your responses, I have been in touch with Dave Andrews today and we have a plan for me to do some checks over the weekend, if I can't sort the balance issues I will be making an appointment to visit him over the Christmas week.

Many thanks to you all for your help whilst in getting my car sorted out and wishing all Lotus Severn Club members a very happy Christmas and safe but exciting New Year. *wavey*

Lotus Severn Club

Peter,

Apologies, *redface* Do not worry, there are no plans to re-brand the club, just a slip of the old brain after another long week working diligently away at the grind stone paying back the countries debts here in the Manufacturing industries of England's heartland.

A Merry Christmas to all the LOTUS SEVEN CLUB members

Edited by - bluespeed on 22 Dec 2011 22:40:09

Edited by - bluespeed on 22 Dec 2011 22:40:55

Car now running and starting much better following helpful advice from a Mr. Dave A. A small adjustment to allow more air into the throttle bodies on start up seems to have done the trick. All running as before, tick over slightly higher at about 950rpm.

Many thanks to all who contributed to getting my R300 back to life.

Cheers

Simon *biggrin*