Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temp gauges

charlie_pank

Raceparts say that their sender is unlikely to work with the Caterham gauge. Caterham say their gauges have a tapered thread, which means I'm unlikely to be able to find an adaptor to fit any standard thread. So I really need to find out the resistance characteristics of the standard Caterham water temp sender so that I can find an equivalent that'll talk to the gauge.

you ARE missing something. Caterham will sell me a sender that will talk to my gauge, but I don't have the engine to fit it into any more, so I'd have to find a way of making a tapered female thread to match it.

Given that:

1)Caterham can't tell me the thread size

2)I don't have a thread gauge or a tap and die set

3)or a means of drilling a tapered hole

I decided it would be easier to find another sender with the same resistance characteristics with a sensible, known thread-size that I can get an adaptor for to fit the 5/8UNF or 3/8BSP fitting that I'm going to splice into the coolant hose.

Roger - you must already know the characteristics of the sender, because you have it feeding your Dash2
Sort-of true, but that was pre-configured when I got it, and I don't think I can extract the table again. Also, it's not very accurate, it shows 64 degrees when the fan comes on, which should be a lot higher. One day I'll get around to reconfiguring it.