Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vibra technics

millsn

Yes

I'm testing a set (and also their gearbox mount) in an attempt to minimise the problem I have with cracking inlet manifolds. They certainly appear a better made job, the Caterham mount always seemed a bit "basic" to me. As far as nvh goes there is a difference but it is very difficult for me to quantify. Time will tell if my manifold problem disappears. You're never going to turn a Seven into a Rolls ...

Take note that they are slightly taller so you need to check chassis/exhaust clearances (I've slightly modified my engine mounts)

I've used them in the past on my seven, making the change from hydraulic mountings, they increased the NVH considerably but then the Hyd mountings were way to soft allowing the engine to wallow around. They were better WRT to NVH than the butyl mountings I tried.

Oily

Nice to read some feedback on them as I could find virtually no information on the Vibra-Technics Caterham mounts in the archives or Google. I've seen some of their other products and they look very well made and do a better job at reasonable cost. £137+VAT for the set of three uprated mounts compared to standard parts.

I'm trying these too and hope to fit the fronts in the next couple of days. VibraTechnic didn't think their gearbox mount would necessarily be a lot better than the standard item other than they are designed not to break free if the rubber parts company.

The new mounts have an upward pointing threaded stud rather than a tapped hole. It might be worth asking VT if they can do them with a tapped boss rather than the stud as fitting them, without removing the engine mounting brackets first, might be difficult in not impossible.

Roger, when you reduced your Vx mounting brackets by 3mm, did you still have metal on the underside of the rectangular tube or did you break through and weld in a fill-it to fill the gap?

Roger, Just thinking about the new mounts and maintaining the engine height by shaving the brackets: provided nothing touches as a result, do you think there is any harm in raising the front of engine by 3mm, i.e. not cutting the brackets down? I doubt if raising the engine's CoG will matter very much!

I haven't tried it or even measured it yet so the front of the engine might foul the bonnet and/or the exhaust touch the chassis diagonal.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 3 Nov 2011 17:24:38

I ran with unmodified mounts for a while. The only reason I decided to modify them was I had a witness mark on the nearside engine bay diagonal where the no 3 header had touched it in use (engine rock). This is with a standard exhaust header set up.

It's really marginal and you might well get away with it .....

This is most interesting. I'm wondering whether these mounts would reduce the high-frequency vibration that has caused several problems on my R400D (fractured coil-on-plug wiring, broken water rail mounts, fractured TPS wiring, disintegrated TPS). This also sounds very much like the vibration that Mark (spiderlane) describes.

JV

I think I'm going to try a set to see if it does reduce the vibration I can feel. I've not experienced the problems that John has yet (but I regularly check the wiring) but I could imagine it happening. Fortunately I have the rubber water rail, so I won't suffer that breaking at least.

Cheers

Mark